• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rust never sleeps
Terry Scott

Rust never sleeps

Placed this on a couple of other sites and it seems to have created a bit of a buzz
Papakura's name originates from Maori words papa-kura meaning "red earth", reflecting the rich, fertile soil upon which the community was founded. The indigeneous Maori people built a Pa named "Puke Kiwiriki", at the top of Red Hill.
My property were we live is to the south of this Historic place
Maori legend has it that a fierce battle took place were Puke-Kiwi-Riki was once the domain of a diminutive but respected Ngati-Paoa Chief
A great battle was had that the local Ewi were defeated and driven off the bluff of the Pa site causing the soil to be forever red
The other day I had to repair a fence line on my boundary and the Pa site which is a native bush block park
While digging in a new stranner post I hit something hard with a clang this old cast iron cooking pot was the culprit .How long had it been buried and what history could it tell if it could speak . I think I may have to contact the local Marie as many artefacts have to be blessed by the Maori just in case bad spirits await within
If I had indeed found this cooking pot were I said I would have to do as stated above
Luckily this was made from liquid amber turned wet, a very bland piece I tried my hand at using my new friend liquid rust
This was on display at an art show all weekend and it was quite funny to have people pick it up to find it was as light as feather expecting a real metal pot
Also had people asking oh do you sell antiques as well
280mm Dia about 11 inches the cracks and void I left as they were when the piece dried and it added a bit more realism
I have been revisiting a number of pieces with verdigris and rust that i consider the grain or the timber to be sub standard
Hello Terry,
Yes it looks just like an old rusty iron pot.
Love this broken pot, but love too your strange story of the old cooking pot (within, were maybe a lot of bad spirits ? and ...caution ! Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Friendly, Lionel.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata