• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Robins Egg Raffia
Dave Roberts

Robins Egg Raffia

A collaboration with my wife Alison. Turned from London Plane, branded, milk paint, flat lacquer spray. The ribbon is Anigre and the flower is Arbutus Burl shavings. The hat after branding weighed 6.7 ounces and there were several flare ups during branding.
Thanks Paul, its an addiction. My first hat was very thick when I took it off the jamb chuck. I thought it was thin but had no idea it was still 1/4" think at the top. That drove me to keep trying and to get thinner and thinner. Then the addiction become different shapes of hats, this is the first of this style and we are working on a huge sombrero, its turned and dry but now needs embellishing.

Outstanding Hat Dave! Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen this version of a hat but know it looks great!! Congrats on TOW and outstanding collaboration with Alison!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Roberts
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device