• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Polymer Clay Millefiori Corian Vase
Andy Chen

Polymer Clay Millefiori Corian Vase

Corian vase decorated with polymer clay millefiori (4" D x 7" H). The polymer clay was made into "canes" of flowers, leaves, etc. Very thin (<0.01") slices are cut from these canes and laid onto the base material (Corian in this case). It is then baked at 275°F for 30 min to cure. The resulting surface is inevitably rough and cannot be leveled. I decided to cast this feature ring in clear epoxy which also offers protection for the millefiori. This epoxy needs to be uniformly thick. I learned how to work with polymer clay from Toni Ransfield who is a fantastic artist.
Absolutely beautiful work, Andy. As soon as I saw the picture, your name came to mind. I won't be going to SWAT this year, but hopefully, I will get to see you next year.

Absolutely beautiful work, Andy. As soon as I saw the picture, your name came to mind. I won't be going to SWAT this year, but hopefully, I will get to see you next year.
Thank you, Bill. I am wondering more and more if I should cancel my Waco trip. I sure hope the pandemic will be under control by this time next year,

Thank you, Bill. I am wondering more and more if I should cancel my Waco trip. I sure hope the pandemic will be under control by this time next year,

I missed my club meeting last Thursday and now I am glad that I did. I got an email from the club president on Saturday. He said that a member who was at the meeting tested positive for COVID the next day. A couple of months ago the club members voted almost unanimously to no longer mandate wearing masks and no more social distancing. There were around 50 members at the meeting for about 2½ hours. Multiply that by ten (assuming 500 people at SWAT) for nearly three days. Just saying.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy Chen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device