• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pierced sycamore bowl
Lou Jacobs

Pierced sycamore bowl

6 1/4” x 2 1/2” bowl. The area of the piercing is a bit under 1/8” thick. My first effort at this kind of decoration.
Absolutely Russ. I was a bit surprised how much effort it took for the burrs to cut through. Next attempt, I’ll go for a smidge thinner.

I just looked it up. You mean the entire hand piece/motor? I have a Marathon micro motor tool that was my fathers. He was a wood carver and used it for detailing his carvings. I inherited it when he died about 13 years ago and I’ve never used it before this week. Only problem is it has a 3/32 inch collet and I’m not sure if or how to change it to an 1/8” inch collet. All the burrs that he had with it were fine diamond burrs for carving details like feathers etc. I’d like to be able to accommodate 1/8 inch shank Saburrtooth and other carbide burrs. But so far I can’t figure out how to change the collet.

I just looked it up. You mean the entire hand piece/motor? I have a Marathon micro motor tool that was my fathers. He was a wood carver and used it for detailing his carvings. I inherited it when he died about 13 years ago and I’ve never used it before this week. Only problem is it has a 3/32 inch collet and I’m not sure if or how to change it to an 1/8” inch collet. All the burrs that he had with it were fine diamond burrs for carving details like feathers etc. I’d like to be able to accommodate 1/8 inch shank Saburrtooth and other carbide burrs. But so far I can’t figure out how to change the collet.
Some older micro motor handpieces have the collet thread in, this 3/32 might just unscrew. NSK Presto is an air driven tool; 300K plus rpm; it is like a dental tool. The only way to pierce!!

Nice first attempt, Lou. 1/8" thick can be a tough go - probably the cause for your uneven top and bottom borders. For your next one - draw or incise your border lines and cut/pierce short of the lines, then sand flat to the line with small sandpaper stick or emery board. A lot of extra work but probably worth it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Lou Jacobs
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device