• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pierced lamp
J

Pierced lamp

This stands 25 inches to the finial point. bloodwood base morado stand and hackberry shade, blackwood finial.
The shade was a bowl that I dropped and turned into a design opportunity. This lamp won 1st prize yesterday in the Ottawa woodturning competition For the beholder category. For which I am honored
Congratulations on the award! I have to say, I really like the whole concept. I think the piercing on the shade is the most attractive part, but the whole thing works.
As an artisan, was the break in the rim intentional or a "design opportunity?" I could see it going either way, but the question came to mind.

What is the "beholder" category. Is that like viewers choice?

The shade looks like it was done with a scroll saw. The challenge of using a scroll saw on a curved surface is something I can't even begin to imagine.

Great job.

Ed

Many thanks for your comments
George. The break happened when the piece hit the kitchen floor, so I cut round it and equalized the other side that is the cutouts to the stand side of the piece.
Ed. The beholder category is "in the eyes of the beholder". The other one is peoples choice award. Which will be awarded at the end of the show tomorrow afternoon. And the piercing was done the normal way I believe by chain drilling and milling the holes to join them and then all edges were filed still.
I won't know for sure for which pieces ( I entered 5) but I am told I won first place for 2 pieces and a ribbon for a third. The 2nd first was for one of my winged things. Thanks again from Jeff Greenwood.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Greenwood
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename