• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Persimmon Vase
Randy Anderson

Persimmon Vase

From a tree I helped my neighbor cut down in his back yard. Had been dead for a while so the bug activity was well underway. I don't get persimmon very often and when I do it's been dead for a while with lots of bug activity. OK for character but one day I hope to get a fresh cut green piece to work with. 14 1/2" tall. Shellac finish.
Very nice, Randy, and I personally love the character. Be careful what you wish for. A friend unexpectedly was given some persimmon and it cracked serverely. It was gorgeous wood and the resulting bottle stopper sized pieces were a tragedy. Maybe in your area, with some humidity, you can get larger pieces to work out. If so, I'd love to see them.

Really nice work

Thanks Dean. Like I said, no experience with green persimmon but will note the cracking potential. I have one (that I know of) persimmon tree on my property but not cutting it down just to make something.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Randy Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device