• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pecan Calabash - 4"h x 7-1/4" rim diameter
Michael Anderson

Pecan Calabash - 4"h x 7-1/4" rim diameter

I hesitate to call this a traditional Hawaiian calabash (umeke), because as I was turning, I goofed and clipped off the top cm of the bowl which would have completed the form. Oof! Regardless, I'm pleased with the piece, and love, love, love this curly pecan. 3/32" at the rim, and very gradually thickens to just over 1/2" at the base. Fully round bottom. This is a wedding gift for some friends getting married in a couple of weeks.
Waiting for Emiliano to comment before I do, haha!! Nice bowl regardless Michael!!
Ha! Thanks Russ! Here’s a semi-long response (because I like to nerd out on these things).

I’ve been waiting to make a calabash until I thought/hoped I could do the form justice. If I had to criticize it as a hyper-textbook umeke I’d mention that the rim should definitely be a little more enclosed (would be the case if I hadn’t screwed up the turning lol). I’ll try to improve on my second attempt, an the title will include the word traditional. :p

That said, after reading Jenkins’ book on calabashes, and a bunch of other things, there is SO much variation to the form. It’s amazing the ancient bowlmakers could make bowls this thin and smooth with primitive tools. Such a cool history!

Last edited:
Like you said, you can probably find one with this shape either in the book or at the Bishop Museum. Umeke means any wooden container. The Hawaiians had dozens of names for their calabashes; this type is more of a Ku'oho type, bigger than the low-sided Palewa, which I teach in my demos. Yopu nailed the bottom for sure. Well done.

Like you said, you can probably find one with this shape either in the book or at the Bishop Museum. Umeke means any wooden container. The Hawaiians had dozens of names for their calabashes; this type is more of a Ku'oho type, bigger than the low-sided Palewa, which I teach in my demos. Yopu nailed the bottom for sure. Well done.
Thanks Emiliano. Visiting the Bishop museum would be such a privilege. One day!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device