• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Oak Trefoil
mfoster

Oak Trefoil

This is a collaboration between myself and Andy DiPietro. Andy saw my Trefoil piece at the Totally Turning show in Saratoga Springs this spring and thought that it might make a great collaborative piece with me completing the form in oak and let him sandblast and finish it with one of his great finishes. I had to think about it some, as I have only done one offs, but finally decided it was really a great idea. I got back to VT and started looking around, but came to realize that white oak does not grow this far north. Andy and I were both doing demos at the New England Woodturning Symposium in Derry NH a month later, and he brought me up a chunk of some chestnut oak for the collaboration.

The trefoil form is pretty much the same as the first piece. This minimal surface has multiple iterations and I considered doing a piece with 8 lobes (4 on each side) but figured that would be too symmetrical, and more than that would get to be too busy, so I stuck with the original form. The base was bit of a different idea I came up with that I thought would give it some lift. It took some time to turn as it had to be turned and hollowed from both ends to match my concept of the final form, and stepped at the top to hold the piece securely. I wound up re-chucking it several times from both ends and used a steady help to complete the turning. The legs and arms were then carved out of the turned form.

I then sent it off to Andy to do his magic and left all those decisions to him. He decided to do his Oakobolo finish, and I think it works perfectly. I love the sandblasting combined with the color treatments that he has been doing.

This was my first collaboration, and I have to say it is an enriching and fun experience. You certainly get more out of it than a nice piece of work. We will be doing another, as we have decided to keep the results for our own collections.

Trefoil form
Chestnut Oak, Andys Oakobolo finish
6 H x 7.5D

Stand
Maple, USMC black leather dye
7.125H x 4D

13H x 7.5 D together

Andy did the photography
I keep looking at this piece and I find it very difficult to come up with words. Fantastic, beautiful, unique...they fit but still can't describe it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename