• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
NIP nat edge vase
Dan Stevenson

NIP nat edge vase

Norfolk Island Pine natural edge hollow 13" vase. Turned side grain with goal of all knots visible within the single view.
@Leroy Cook This piece is turned 90* from the pith or side grain, notice the top is the outer natural edge of the log. In other pieces I may turn endgrain or any degree of sidegrain to achieve knot or grain placement I'm after. It's all about orienting the log and an understanding how where the knots will be visible on the X,Y & Z axis when the wood is removed to reveal the final form.

Dan, this piece looks outstanding! Thank you so much for responding. Am having a hard time wrapping my poor brain around the entire process, please bear with me. So I can mount the complete log round 90 degrees to the axis of the spindle (in other words with the pith running 90 degrees to the spindle). Just as one would for a side grain bowl (without bowl blank being cut in half). This will provide the external shape, such that the pith becomes exposed at the widest diameter and the branches as the diameter is reduced by cutting away sapwood. What method would you suggest to mount it for side grain turning? The reason that I ask is that whatever method is used would need to have its imprint/holes not visible upon completion. After side grain turning is completed, it would then appear necessary to have had a foot (with tenon most likely) on one end of the side grain turned form in order to mount that in a chuck to complete the hollowing of the piece in an end grain manner. I think I saw some of your pieces at the Florida Woodturning Symposium and have some pics of them. Excellent in form and finish! Thanks for any light that you can shine.

Excellent form and finish. Displays the beauty of the unique knot configuration of Norfolk Island Pine in a side grain orientation.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dan Stevenson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device