• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natural Edge Russian Olive bowl
Dave Landers

Natural Edge Russian Olive bowl

Snagged a chunk of Russian Olive from the "to the dump" pile at our club's wood lot. This bowl, with a couple little burls along the edge, is about 7" diameter. Pewas (maple) repair a crack. Finished with walnut oil.

The repaired crack is small, and hard to see. In the future, I'll probably try to highlight cracks that I repair like this, to make the repair seem as purposeful as it actually is.
Good job on the pewa. There is no plural in Hawaiian. I see some either staining or sawdust due to the recess not being perfect. I do not really care if the crack is visible or not after repairs. Not sure why the picture is a bit grainy, not clear when zooming in.

Thanks for the comments.
Re: the grainy picture - I expect its due to low light. I'm constantly fiddling with my photo setup (trying to get it good enough - without using up a lot money I could be spending on tools). I've been experimenting with lighting trying to get rid of glare. This one was pretty low diffused light. I've read a bunch of photo articles, just haven't invested in the good gear (or even the medium gear).

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device