• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natural Edge Bowl
James Seyfried

Natural Edge Bowl

This is 6 ¾” x 4 ¾” natural edge bowl with carved feet. It had a small crack in so I added a pewa. I really need to be better with keeping track of the wood type, as I’m not sure what wood this is. It kind of looks like Cherry but is harder and didn’t smell like cherry.
Nice, could be Bradford pear, not as dark as cherry, what was ur finish, how many coats, but that is a lot of sapwood for cherry or bp

I think the form is terrific. Call me a traditionalist but the feet don't do it for me. Super nice regardless.

Charlie, it is finished with a couple of coats of Danish oil. I don't think it changed the color much.

Thanks, Alan and Paul.

I was a bit indecisive on this one, I thought about making it a round bottom, but went with the feet.

Very beautiful bowl, Jim. I do like the feet--I think their curves complement the wavy NE rim well. The wood does looks like Cherry to me--sapwood and heartwood both have the classic Cherry characteristics. But who knows?

Nice job on the Pewa James! I do like the feet but it has been said I have a foot feti…..I will leave it there! At first glance, I thought the Pewa came out strikingly horizontal/ perpendicular to the crack…..I’m not sure what option B would be; maybe a slight tilt?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
James Seyfried
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename