• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mantaray leather
Terry Scott

Mantaray leather

Manta Ray leather 2

I decided to take a bit of a punt and enter this piece into the decorated bowls or platters category at the Franklin Arts. Each category is only able to have one piece entered .The categories are 1/ Hollow forms ,2/Decorated bowl or Platter, 3/Undecorated Bowl,4/lidded box or miniature 5/ Ornamental , 6/ Franklin woodturners Club members only and first time entrant
As I already had a piece for the artistic category the punt was where is the cut of as a bowl or an artistic piece.
I was maybe pushing it a bit but it does say bowl this piece you can put something in it so to me still a bowl.
This Pohutukawa piece is 150mm 6 inches square slightly smaller than Manta ray 1 the first in this series ,so a little more of a challenge to keep an even curve on the wings
The body is the same thickness as the wings
I played around with the texture this time so the two pieces are twins but not identical
This time before I air brushed the piece I used a make up brush (dont tell my wife its back in the make up draw a little stiffer than when I nicked it) to add a shading of acrylic colour.
The internal bowl was sanded to 1200 grit with ondena oil/clear paraffin oil to bring out the red colour of the Pohutukawa then lacquered
After the airbrushing the wins and outer body were sealed with artists fixative
Id like to thank the organizers of the Franklin arts for a stunning display of paintings, ceramics, quilting, photography and woodturning a well run event
This piece received a first in Ornamental.
I have another entered into Kawerau next week so we shall see as I am not counting my chickens. This is a very different Comp with different judges
Comments always welcome
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings