• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Low Honey Locust Bowl (bottom)
George Guadiane

Low Honey Locust Bowl (bottom)

I really like the way the grain is almost perfectly centered on this bowl. The wood for this bowl was a gift from a wood customer. I should have given him more consideration on the blanks he bought from me (I owe you one).
Honey locust is hard, but it sure finishes nice!
Diameter: 16 1/2 inches
Height: 3 inches
Foot: low / 6 Inch diameter
Finish: Olive Oil / Bee's Wax
As always, comments and/or critiques invited.
Some fast-growing stuff if it's making 16" in 25 years or so. Reminds me of black ash in the look of it, though, of course, much harder.

Have to ask, why the interior hold? Though for a looker it wouldn't mean much, for a user it would seem inconvenient if not altogether unhygenic. A style thing you originated or emulated?

I need to piont out (just in case you didn't notice) that this is the bottom view.
The recess is not so deep that it would be difficult to clean, in my opinion and experience.
At first, I just liked the look... Made pieces look more "finished" to me. While it takes more time, it is "just a detail," pretty much the same as on a rim, in my mind... I also used the inner detail to help define the foot for the viewer, without lifting the piece up and turning it over.
The Ash piece I just posted is another example. Many of my closed form pieces have that detail as well.

THEN I was introduced to the work of Robert M. Hamada, an elderly, lifelong wood turner in Hawaii. For him the recess seems like a signature, a sign of care for details.
A hard square edge is difficult to get well finished, it takes a lot of attention to the process. So, in that respect, I adopted his reasoning and logic for doing what I already found attractive.
Most of the pieces I make are more for decoration, but like this one, could certainly be used for food service. I would prefer that soup or stew not be served in it, but that has been done for centuries too.
We have used a great old hand carved Hawaiian Hau wood bowl with cracks and a chip for YEARS without any health problems or concerns.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename