• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Latest batch
Paul Porter

Latest batch

I took a week off of my day job (turning vacation) and here are some the pieces I was able to finish. Mainly make collars and buff. From left to right, back row, the woods are olive/ironwood collar, carob, Tasmanian rose myrtle/ebony collar and maple burl/ebony collar. Front row left to right, osage orange, pacific yew/ebony collar, maple burl/ebony collar and mesquite. I will post individual photo later as to not hog the photo space. All are destine for galleries. Most are finished with General Finishes Seal-a-Cell. As always, all comments are welcome.
Very nice Paul, as usual. I like the variety of collars you have in these pieces and pieces you posted in the past. The low profile collar is a nice effect and it will be interesting to see what the public prefers in general. I have a preference to glossy finishes and these are all nice and glossy. I'm going to have to try some different finishes besides tung oil and the Seal-a-cell finish seems to be working well for you based on your results!

Thanks -e- and Jeff for the nice comments. I started exploring a finish that would hold up to handling in gift shops and craft galleries. I got some pieces back from a gift shop with my "usual" finish of Danish oil and buffing that looked horrible. I tried polyurethane and didn't like the results (to plasticy). I really liked the results I got from Seal-A-Cell (just shiney enough and you can still feel the wood).

BTW, I no affiliation with General Finishes, just a satisfied customer.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device