• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
It's FINISHED!
I would like to hear some feedback on this one (or any of the others) if you can offer some kind of constructive critique.
I saw this and a few others made by George and have to say they are very impressive in person. We are having him work up a demo on this tecnique for our club and probably next years' Totally Turning Symposium.
Great work Goerge!

Not actually mounted "off axis..." The segments are made up of triangles, which are then assembled with no points aimed at the center. The segments swirl around the center opening. When the vase is formed, the contour combined with the segment orientation creates the illusion of the curved lines that you see.
Not sure if that helps... An other answer would be 45 degrees off axis for each segment (if that makes any sense).
I am working on a series of concepts, which incorporate curved lines (segments) into the design, several are posted, any input would be appreciated.

George, thanks for the response. I do swirls, ribbons, single and double celtic cross bowls but I still can't visualize yours... chuckle. I've looked thru your album and your technique certainly opens up some nice possibilities. If you would like to communicate privately I would enjoy it.
Bill Stehman
bowlman@cox.net

DURN YA, GEORGE!!!!! My wife saw this, now I gotta make HER one!!!!! Very nice design and material choices.

I guess I gotta ask... Why did you show it to her???
I have done a number of demonstrations on the "OATS" (Off Axis Triangle Stave) segmenting process and how to make the triangle stave cutting sled (VERY safe to use). In fact, I just did one for a club in Worcester, MA last night. I haven't been to Oregon in more than a decade (I missed the symposium this year).
You could have worse problems, she could want you to do the dishes or laundry or something - or REALLY bad, play golf!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename