• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
I Have A Secret - Druid Box #1
John Van Domelen

I Have A Secret - Druid Box #1

The first in a new series.

The goal with this fun series is the creation of boxes and containers that have the look of possibly have been kept by a druid or shaman. All will have a certain sculptural aspect about them as well as an element of surprise.

Haven't had this much fun in a long time. :)

This piece was my entry in Texas Turned, a show at HCCC curated by Gwynne Rukenbrod, the center's Curator of Fine Craft.

Made from (Ike downed) Elm and black walnut, Redheart, bamboo, willow, Reindeer moss, 23 carat gold leaf. Ebonized, carved, pyrographed, buffed.

About 20 inches in diameter at the 'equator' - a bit taller due to the 'handle'. It is hollowed, the moss hides the join in the middle.

This piece sold the last day of the show to an artist living in Santa Fe. The sale represents my first 4 figure sale. :)

Photo by Paul Milo, GCWA volunteer photographer.

Druid Box number two in progress....
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Van Domelen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings