• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hope Springs Eternal
john lucas

Hope Springs Eternal

I made this simply because the war in Ukraine disturbs me. My thoughts were why don't the combatants simply lay down their arms and refuse to fight one another. The russian goblet took 3 hours of airbrushing to get the camo effect. The rifles were all hand carved. I've taken some flak over the choice of the hammer and sickle flag since that is not the russian flag. However I felt this war was started to expand the Russian empire back to the days of the Soviet Union so chose that image to represent what is really happening.
Politics and the reason wars exist aside, nice composition and effort John!! Lots of things to look at!

Wonderful, John. Great detail in the piece while expressing your thoughts and emotions.

Nice art, John. I think that we all share your pain.

FWIW, I want to remind folks in case they forget, when commenting on the art and its social relevance, that we avoid comments on two topics (religion and politics) because it seemingly always descends into people behaving as though this were Facebook and combating hate with hate. This is a woodturning forum, a place of civil discourse. There are plenty of places on the internet where those two topics are welcomed with open "arms" as the flambe du jour.

I had to reluctantly delete one comment because it included comments about the politics of the war in Ukraine. While avoiding political commentary presents a difficult needle to thread, I think that we can focus on people rather than the politics.

Thanks Bill. I had no concept this piece would cause controversy. It was pulled from one forum because of politics. Another forum debated pulling it but decided that since inwas promoting peace it could stay.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device