• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hollow Tallow
John Van Domelen

Hollow Tallow

Turned from a Chinese Tallow tree that I finally got around to taking down. The tree was damaged during Ike and when it came down during the storm it took out my garden shed. I took a special delight in cutting it up for bowls and such. :)

This is the first object made from this tree. It had especially bland, plain grain, so I textured it and punched up the grain with the torch.

It is end grain, hollowed to a .25 inch wall thickness, 8.5 inches high by 5.75 inches at the widest, the foot is 1.25 inches wide.
You did a good job on the torch work. Initially I thought it was a grain pattern. Nice design.
Dale

Very nice. The thumbnail picture doesn't do justice to the "torch" work; because of aliasing, it first looked like off-kilter carving, or some sort of weird grain. The foot seems somewhat small, but if it doesn't fall over in a loud room, it's fine with me. BTW, what finish?

Joe

Thanxs guys. Finish is a few coats of wipe on poly - then buffed out through caranuba wax.

This thing really just looked like holly before the torching. It brought out the growth rings. I liked the effect on other pieces I have done and decided to try and give this poor thing some interest. Cheers!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Van Domelen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename