• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fluted Red Elm Bowl
Dan Rominski

Fluted Red Elm Bowl

8.5" Dia. x 4" H with Hand Carved Flutes
Nice work Dan. I'm not sure the mirrored surface is helping. The rim on this piece looks very cool!

Thank you Jeff! The reflective surface is something I have been experimenting with. The jury is still out.....

Outstanding piece, Dan. The reflective surface helps the lighting, which looks very nice on the piece itself. But the reflection detracts from the piece, in my opinion. I'm using what may be the same material for some of my photos, a metalized plastic film, double-sided--one side is more matte and works out best for me. Interesting effect,however.

Dan,
This piece has a beautiful shape. The fluting adds a nice touch. I agree with Jeff on the mirrored surface. I find it distracting. I'd rather look at your bowl!

Thanks Ken - I've been trying to replicate a photographic technique that my brother in-law showed me, but I don't think I have the white balance set right. The background is just some mat board from an art store - reflective on one side and white on the other. When my brother in-law shot a couple of pieces for me, the mirror-like background went away and just the reflection showed on the photo.

Thank you Ed. I have always admired Al Stirt's work and I've wondered how he does his flutes. I thought I would give it a try and really spent a lot of time hand carving on this piece, and red elm is not the easiest wood to carve! This piece was accepted in the "Northern Reflections" exhibit at the AAW Gallery, and was sold, so I can't re-do the photo. I guess I'll have to try and re-do the bowl!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dan Rominski
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename