• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fence Post Snowman Sighting!
Scott Hampton

Fence Post Snowman Sighting!

Alright Everyone... Here We Go!
It's the first sighting of snowmen this year.
These are this year's prototypes, what do you think? I make them from 4x4 fence posts. They range in size from 12" to 20" tall. Three lathe chisels, a propane torch, and no sanding is all it takes.
I sold out of over 50 similar snowmen last year at just one craft fair. It seems folks really like them. They're still missing some buttons and scarves, although I don't think they mind, as it's been over 100⁰ all week.
Those are cute! The wife and I have been pondering what to take for our AAW chapter Christmas party. Been talking but nothing definite yet. Thanks for sharing and the use of recycled wood.

@Tom Albrecht Thanks for your comment.
I use both new and recycled posts. With the recycled posts you need to do a bit more work to make it usable.
The use of a metal detector is most important for finding nails and other metal hardware, and then you need to look for any weathered knots or cracks that can be hiding inside. The wood is free though, and they make some nice rustic snowmen that are great for outdoor decorations, as the wood is already accustomed to being outside.
For the snowmen with the scorched hats I use new wood. It works better for creating the zebra stripes, and about half of those who buy them prefer the fresher look of the wood.
The new posts will get a nice patina in about three years as I don't apply any finish to the snowmen except to the burned hat. I apply a spray sanding sealer to prevent the black residue from rubbing off and getting on someone's hands.

@John Torchick Thanks for your comments. The snowmen are a fun project. They are always a hit during my demonstrations/classes, I think because they're easy to make for both beginning and well-seasoned woodturners.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Hampton
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename