• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Experiments
P

Experiments

A recent bowl, experimenting with new techniques (for me).
Textured base, routed rim. painted inner bowl.

Wood: Sycamore
Dia: 31cms

Spirit stains, acrylic and oil paints
There is a lot going on with that rim treatment. This is simple, yet elegant. Very well done. Could you kindly post a pic of your router set-up?

Beautiful. Really like the contrasts. I too would like to know more how you did all the treatments including the coloring. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback and compliments.

Some more details:

The texturing on the underneath surface was done with a Sabre pyrography unit, burning hot and deep using a home made spring style tip, Time consuming process! Stained black

The inner textures were created by collaging bits onto the wood followed by acrylic paste textured with implements. This was then primed with acrylic gesso, underpainted with red acrylics followed by oil glazes.

The outer rim stain was achieved using several layers of stain, black and red mainly. Cutting back with meths during application. Final stains allowed to remain on the surface and rubbed with the fingers to blend streaking during drying. Sealed with a fixative spray to allow further finish to be applied without removing surface staining. This is attempting to create a patina rather than a colour - if that makes sense.

The routing method I wish to keep to myself for a while to find out what might be possible. I have spent a couple of years thinking how this might be done and this was literally the first attempt, hence 'experiment'. I have yet to discover how flexible the jig could be but I have some ideas! It is a 'heath robinson' style series of cobbled together components and is an off lathe set-up.

If it is anything like my setup, it will be great fun for years to come. I am still finding different ways of setup and ussage. Great piece by the way. I don't have the patience to do the elaberate painting and staining, maybe someday..Thanks for the inspiration though...Ray

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Philip Streeting
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename