• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Escoulen Sculpture
Michael Nathal

Escoulen Sculpture

Inspired by Jean-Francois Escoulen. I saw a photo in Am. Woodturner about 5 years ago, and it took me this long to get up the nerve to try it, and work out the details. Seven maple hollow vessels with integral tabs, with rosewood caps and stems, topped by two solid rosewood ornaments. The base is oak, dyed to match the rosewood. This piece is too tall (30 inches) to fit in my photo booth so it is posed in my living room. Too bad that electric outlet is in the view!
What a remarkable undertaking, Michael. From conception to execution, just remarkable. In a million years, I wouldn't be that brave. (I keep thinking about all the opportunities to screw up :oops:) The color and pattern of the maple is really a wonderful juxtaposition to the rosewood.

And doesn't photoshop have a tool that automatically takes out electrical outlets? If not, they should have.

Very impressive piece, Michael. Love it !!! Small nitpick ... the larger vessel on the left side looks out of place. Perhaps some other options (after the fact :( ) - all upper vessels the same (similar) size -or- small & larger sizes alternating from side to side -or- slightly smaller sizes as they ascend up the piece. Just my 2¢. :)

Re: the photo ... if you placed the sculpture a little more forward on the table, and perhaps change your camera position, the lower vessel would cover the electric outlet.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Nathal
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device