• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Domed lidded Cherry Box
R

Domed lidded Cherry Box

Cherry Lidded box - demo practice

Here is another lidded box I turned today.......again this is one for the demo in July to show along with making one. I will make several of these to pass around to show the different styles and woods, as well as some holding with a tenon and some with a recess.........this one I did with a tenon.

The box is a dome shape ........I made a smaller one some months ago and my wife really liked it, so this is similar to it...........5-5/8" tall and 2-3/4" wide. Finished with General Finishes Wood Turners Finish. Comments always welcome.

Now that I have this off the lathe............I wish in retrospect that I had just made a simple knob for the top instead of the stepped one........it would have looked better IMO.............I guess that is why it is practice.........an error in design which could have been avoided with a sketch prior to putting tools to wood!
Lovely clean turn Roger, the contrast rings look great on the cherry, I actually like the knob treatment, not a problem to my eye
A great project for a Demo', good luck with that.
Pete

Roger-

A real nice looking box. I agree with you it would look better with a knob on the lid. Perhaps aluminum or acrylic for a different look.

Gary

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Roger Chandler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata