• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Curly Grains!
Glenn Lefley

Curly Grains!

Curly maple done two ways!
Trans tint dyes and burnished milk paints.
@Russ Braun thanks. I used black then sanded back, red sanded back then yellow and orange sanding back each time. In person the grain looks three dimensional.

@Buddy Brewer depends what you want. The black I sanded back a lot. Then with each Color I did not sand back as much. But I do sand each Color to I expose some undyed wood. Less and less though as I add each Color. So with the black no surface Color left just what went deep. Then each Color after that a little Color is also left on the surface, but i do expose bare wood at each stage.

Media information

Album
Curly grains
Added by
Glenn Lefley
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename