• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Curly Carob with Ebony collar
Paul Porter

Curly Carob with Ebony collar

This Carob tree was awesome. I have never seen another like it. It had this amazing figure throughout the whole tree.
Paul, you posted some really beautiful pieces. This is gorgeous. Your form is outstanding and the collar is simple, yet elegant and doesn't take over the piece. The figure in that carob is wonderful. Can you describe how you turned and attached the collar?

Pam

Thanks for the nice comments Pam. The collar is a ring with a rabbet. I hold the wood with a four-jaw chuck, turn the rabbet to fit the opening. I make the depth of the rabbet the same as the wall thickness of the vessel so it looks like the collar raps around the inside of the vessel. I shape, sand and polish the lower (inside) edge. Part it off and gently hold it by the rabbet in the chuck, shape, sand and polish the top edge. I spot glue it on with thick CA or quick-set epoxy. If this is to confusing, email me privately and I'll send you some photos of the process. paulporterwoodturning@mindspring.com

Thanks for the description, Paul. Sounds pretty clear. You must have a very light touch working that close to the chuck :)

Yes, I've learned to pay real close attention to what I am doing and use miniture tools. My favorite tool for this job is a Sorby 1/8 inch gouge. I also use a lot of masking tape on the chuck to keep any sharp edges from catching.

Phil,
I wont be in Orlando in July, but I'll be in Provo next week.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename