• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Coriaceous Wave
Helen Bailey

Coriaceous Wave

This bowl is another in my "Wave bowl" series. The title relates to the rugged leathery effect caused by the pyrography texture. The bowl is turned to a 2mm wall thickness, sanded and then the pattern is marked out ready for enhancement. Diameter 5.5 inches and 2.5 inches high. Satin lacquer finish. Photo courtesy of Pat Carroll.
@Greg Just Thank you Greg. The colour and leather effect in this piece is all natural from the pyrography. I used quite a low heat as the piece is only 2mm and I didn’t want to mark through to the inside and this was the result.

the finish tenon sets it off.....i assume maple or sycamore?

@John King
Thanks John. I tried to post a pic of inside of the bowl but it won’t let me (I’m not to great with technology). It is plain inside and finished with satin lacquer. If you use Facebook I have an inside shot on my profile, feel free to have a look there

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Helen Bailey
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device