• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cherry Triangle Stave Finial Box
George Guadiane

Cherry Triangle Stave Finial Box

Cherry & Walnut Off Axis Stave Segmented Finial Box.
I think this kind of outcome is called a "design opportunity." This was SUPPOSED to be a hollow form. I had gotten almost done and blew through the top.
I couldn't stand to chuck it, so I took what was left of the top and made it a foot with a walnut separator and top. Since I haven't done a finial before, this seemed like the perfect time to try.

Diameter: 3 1/8 inches
Height: 7 5/8 inches
Finish: Sanded / 400 olive oil (so far)
As Always, Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome
Graet save George ! I like the way you used the "extra" piece on the bottom and that it twists the opposite direction. The lid is very nice but the finial is a little on the stout side. Pretty good for your first one though! I know the next one will be better.

Thanks Don,
The other cherry stave piece is a salvage job too :>( Right at the widest point, don't know if it shows in any of the pictures, but I thought it came out pretty good. I'll bring them to the next meeting.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename