• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cherry burl bowl - finished
Scott Regenbogen

Cherry burl bowl - finished

The first of the cherry burl turned ino a 10 3/4" dia x 8 1/2" tall bowl. This piece has already begun to move a bit, so I'm trying to stabilize it.
Sanded to 1500, finished w/ Danish Oil lightly hand buffed.

Comments and feedback welcome.
very nice, you say it has opened up?
did it open because it is in green condition??

To respond to Charlie, it opened up along the axis where a limb passed through the burl. While I was turning the piece I would turn a bit, then wax the entire exposed area, keeping any drastic movenent to a minimum. Once it came off the lathe it checked at the point where the limb was. I think I can save it and hopefully it will still be a nice piece.

Thanks all for your comments.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Regenbogen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata