• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Box Elder Hollow form
john lucas

Box Elder Hollow form

This was a fun project. I have been learning to save vessel blanks and this one started to crack so I drove my Fro down through it and split it. I glued it back together with black epoxy with some spacers to give the epoxy thickness. It's been sitting like that for a year or more. I decided to turn it.
I had trouble again with the lip cracking as I turned it. Not sure what's causing that. This piece should not have had much moisture in it. I put some finish on it which I would have thought would limit the moisture release. Will have to work on that problem. It did allow me to discover another way of covering patched cracks. I wood burned around them. Burning over CA glue always leaves a nasty look so when I got finished I mixed up some brown and black paint to a very dark brown. I used a very small brush to add colored dots to the CA lines. It came out perfect.
Finish was Krylon matte finish, buffed with 4/0 steel wool and then wax applied over it. I left the the textured surfaces matte

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device