• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bowl 26
David Somers

Bowl 26

This is my 4rth entry into the Big island Woodturners Show.

This is a Hopi Wedding Vase. It is made of a native Hawaiian wood called Milo. There is no finish on it other than fine sanding, buffing, and finally carnuba. Certainly not very durable as a finish, but it has a lovely look and feel.

This was a fun turning to do. I started out mounting it up by the top of the spouts so I could hollow it from the bottm. Then after I plugged that hole back up I mounted it on an Escoulan Chuck on that end and turned the two spouts. I left them each thick enough so I had enough wood to carve the curves that hide the fact that the spout holes are drilled straight through.

This one was a kick to do. Hope you all enjoy it.

Dave
The Hopi Wedding Vase is a really nice effort.

After I noticed your location I was wondering how any of your turnings survive?????

this is very very nice. thanx for the info on making this piece, I have seen this type of vase made of pottery... It looks ten times better out of wood! Well done.

Thanks everyone! This was certainly fun to do. A little nerve wracking too, but not too bad.

Yorksub. We try to keep pieces away from the flowing lava. That helps. And I live up above the termite zone! That helps a bunch too!

Milo, the wood I used for this, is also a native wood and tends to be very stable. If you are here sometime and have a chance to take a piece home with you it is really nice to work with. Lovely scent too.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device