• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bowl 25
David Somers

Bowl 25

This is the 3rd entry I have submitted for this years Big Island Woodturners Show. 2 more entries will follow tomorrow since the limit for postings is 3 per day.

And my thanks to Mike Mahoney. He helped with this during a hands on session and demonstration he did for us here on the Big Island a number of weeks ago. He was a kick to work with and a terrific demonstrator if your clubs have a chance to have him visit you.

This is a piece about 7 inches tall, made from Faya wood taken down near the root stock. Faya is a highly invasive tree that was brought to Hawaii years ago and has destroyed a lot of our native forest up at the 4000 foot level on the Big Island. It completely shades out the understory with dense thickets of growth. Fortunately, it does not poison the soil so large trees can often survive for a long while with a Faya understory.

The figure and bark inclusions down near the root stock is very pretty. Glad to have found a use for this garbage tree!!! Now if I can just keep finding neighbors willing to hack it down!!

The finish is a thin coat of buffed Waterlox.

And of course, I always appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

Mahalo everyone!

Dave
very nice

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating