• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Blue Moves
Tom Coghill

Blue Moves

Spalted Maple with acrylics
Tom, you've been holding back on us. It appears these are your first postings. Welcome! You definitely are using, and have mastered, a number of embellishing techniques. This platter is beautiful. Did you mis two colors of acrylic?

Hal,

Thanks for your kind words. I have been turning for a while, but just joined AAW.

The coloring is done with a crackle product that can be found at most art stores and at some craft stores. It is a clear coat that is applied after the base color and before the top color is applied. The nature of the cracking can be changed with the thickness of the prodict, the brissle size of the brush and the direction of the application.

In this case I applied the coloring before turning the final inside and outside shape to get crisp edges on the coloring.

I think this addresses most points, however if there is more I can provide to you, ping me.

Tom

Tom-

Outstanding piece! Would have thought to turn to the finial size before applying the crackle product. After reading your note, will keep that in my mind if I ever do a piece with crackle product.

Gary

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Tom Coghill
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata