• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Cherry Natural Edge
P

Black Cherry Natural Edge

This is my third NE bowl. The bowl is 7.5" x 3" Black Cherry. Finish is Antique Oil.
Paul, I might consider a much smaller foot. You have a nice curve going and bam, you run into the foot. This piece would look great a couple of different ways. Continue the curve to a perfectly round bottom or continue the curve to a small elegant foot supporting a round bottom. Just something to think about.

Ed, Thanks for your honest comment. I tend to agree that a smalller foot may have been more appropriate given the wall thickness. I have always heard that the foot should be about 1/3 of the overall diameter of the piece for a bowl. I am begining to believe that on a thin wall decorative piece it should be much smaller than that. The inside of the foot has been hollowed out to follow the curve of the bowl. I will post a photo of this detail.

I would rely more on what looks right rather than any mathematical formula. I have feet that are bigger and smaller than 1/3. If the walls had more of a curve to them, a large foot might look ok.

You also have to consider how the outside shape will affect the inside shape in terms of wall thickness and curve at the center. Outside profile isn't the only consideration.

Seafoam, I appreciate the critique. I am still relatively new to turning and am still getting my own sense of desgin and style. I hope that I will continue to grow. In the meantime I rely on advice and forms from more experienced turners. While I do agree that the bowl would have a better overall appearance with a smaller foot, I am still pleased with the overal appearance of the bowl. I expanded a little on the foot design with the Ash bowl I posted, and I think the proportions of the foot are much better. The inside curve is real nice and the foot detail on the bottom is also very nice. I will try to get a good picture of these to post for critique as well.

Thanks again, I truely value the honest opinions and evaluations that I have received.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Stolarik
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename