• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Balls
Ron Solfest

Balls

Various turned balls from 2.25" to 3.75" Some laminated or other special treatment. Top one made of offset turned laminations in maple and walnut
Nice balls, my sphere bowl runneth over. My avatar bowl is 16x11 oval and now is full to overflowing. I either need to take a new pic, turn a bigger bowl or quit turning spheres... Ok, option three is out...
Textured sphere is interesting, care to elaborate?

Thanks. Turning spheres is fun, every once in a while I take some scraps from laminating or other odd pieces and turn a couple balls. I’ve experimented with a few different things (hollowing out, wire burning, various textures) but my two favorites in that bowl are the small walnut one on the right that I just tooled the surface with a carving chisel when turned (took a long time) and the top one that’s mostly turning air.

I made the top ball years ago as a challenge event with the MN Woodturners group I was a part of. The challenge was to do some offset turning. I glued a board of walnut to a maple board and turned rings through each side on different centers resulting in two cross hatched layers held together by each other. Then I cut that into quarters and stack glued the quarters into a cube of 8 layers of alternating walnut and maple arcs. Then the fun began of turning this matrix into a “sphere”. It was a lot of fun, and provided a very interesting piece.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ron Solfest
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename