• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Apricot bowl
Marc Banka

Apricot bowl

I was gifted a turning block of Japanese Apricot from a friend and turner. I decided on a once turned bowl.
About 9 x 9 inches. Turned and finished green. Finish is a Danish oil.
After it had a chance to settle, I put it back on the lathe to true-up the foot.
Beautiful shape and love the grain. Do you have a shot of the inside?

Very nice, Marc. One of my most tragic wood stories is when our 35 year old apricot tree died and I cut it up for turning. It was gorgeous wood, a little less red than yours shows, but it moved so much I only got a single sound bowl out of about 7 feet of trunk. I'm impressed with your successful result. Thanks for that.

Very nice, Marc. One of my most tragic wood stories is when our 35 year old apricot tree died and I cut it up for turning. It was gorgeous wood, a little less red than yours shows, but it moved so much I only got a single sound bowl out of about 7 feet of trunk. I'm impressed with your successful result. Thanks for that.
Thank you, Dean. So sad about the low yield from your beautiful tree. It really is nice wood, and turns wonderfully.
FWIW, I received this blank quite green and wrapped with stretch film, and then turned it fairly thin and finished it without drying first. I watched for a few days,,hoping no cracks would appear.
This time the approach worked well.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Marc Banka
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata