• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
#2099 Thailand Red Amboyna Burl.
odie

#2099 Thailand Red Amboyna Burl.

Completed 9/15/2023, Red Amboyna burl from Thailand. This is some very exotic, very desirable wood to art collectors. Very expensive wood, along with the materials used to process, my total expense was about $300....but, the finished product was well worth it! Has extreme undercut rim. Initial MC was 14%, and after roughing, it took a total of 7 months to stabilize. The turning block measured 8 3/4" x 3". Finished dimensions are 8 3/8" x 3". It was sanded to 600gt, which includes random orbit by hand. Finished with Danish Oil Natural. It was buffed using 3-step Beall buffing system.

-o-
Exceptional wood figure and you did it justice with your turning. When making pens it was my favorite wood to turn.

Exceptional wood figure and you did it justice with your turning. When making pens it was my favorite wood to turn.

Thank you, Bill......:)

Yes, this is some of the most exotic wood, and availability is sporadic. Not very common in sizes this big and suitable for bowls. Those dealers who offer it, know it and exploit it for everything they can get!

It does turn very nicely....not a difficult wood for us turners.

Tell Erv that I have his latest email, and have been busy with the Christmas season.....I'll get back with him soon.

-o-

Thank you, Bill......:)

Yes, this is some of the most exotic wood, and availability is sporadic. Not very common in sizes this big and suitable for bowls. Those dealers who offer it, know it and exploit it for everything they can get!

It does turn very nicely....not a difficult wood for us turners.

Tell Erv that I have his latest email, and have been busy with the Christmas season.....I'll get back with him soon.

-o-
Will do.

Amazing Odie! I love working with Amboyna Burl and wish I could get some more of it. It's great you can upload again too!

now that's how you finish the year on a high note, beautiful work as always odie, all the best for the new year

That is some wonderful wood and a well turned piece to show it off.
Thanks, Marc..... :)
Nice work, classy and amazing wood!
Thank you Dimitris..... :)
Amazing Odie! I love working with Amboyna Burl and wish I could get some more of it. It's great you can upload again too!
Thank you, Gabriel.....:)
You did help in inspiring me to look in the right place for resizing my photos.
now that's how you finish the year on a high note, beautiful work as always odie, all the best for the new year
Thank you Peter..... :)
Also for the well wishes for the new year......you all do the same! :)

-o-

It takes time to get the museum finish, but its always worth it. Nicely done sir, but then your work on finishing is one of the best.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device