• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2023 Ornaments
Tom Gall

2023 Ornaments

Finally got these photos out of my camera and into the computer. Finished the last 2023 ornament late on Christmas Eve … living up to my reputation as “Procrastinator in Chief”!!!

Hollow globes are Maple with Holly icicles, hangers and caps. Texture is hot melt glue and then airbrushed, with added metallic paint dots. The prototype on the left was airbrushed and then the hot glue was removed … I decided not to do that!
Nice work, Tom. That hot glue effect is pretty cool. How did you keep the colors so cleanly separated on the two on the right? Did you paint the hot glue afterward?

These really are exquisite Tom! I am sure the recipients found them to be worth waiting for!
I echo Michael's question about your painting prowess. And any information on your "articulated joints" would be great!

Nice work, Tom. That hot glue effect is pretty cool. How did you keep the colors so cleanly separated on the two on the right? Did you paint the hot glue afterward?
My guess would be colored hot melt glue, but obviously Tom has the last word about this.

Thanks, Michael. Yes, afterward ... I used a Krylon 18kt. Gold Leafing Pen (it also comes in silver). I was a little concerned if that would work or not, but it went on easily and seems to adhere very well. Of course I didn't attempt to rub it off.;) I also use it to add a little extra color detail to my finials & caps.
Airbrushing over the glue leaves a nice translucent look (2 on the left). I didn't like the look on the black base colored one so I attempted to highlight the glue line with gold - I liked it! ... so used that on some of the others.

These really are exquisite Tom! I am sure the recipients found them to be worth waiting for!
I echo Michael's question about your painting prowess. And any information on your "articulated joints" would be great!
Thanks, Will ... glad you like them. The "articulated" joints allow for a little jiggle when moved - and, if dropped the finials usually just fold up and don't break. Here's a link to an explanation - in the Gallery comments from 2019.

My guess would be colored hot melt glue, but obviously Tom has the last word about this.
I don't know if hot melt glue comes in colors - especially gold, Jim. I think a colored glitter effect is available in limited colors but that would be a different look. Besides, you would need two glue guns to be practical about it. You would have to empty the glue in the chamber ($$$) to change colors - and back again. Full disclosure - I have two guns. :)

Here are some colored hot melt glue alternatives.
12 solid colors
14 glitter colors

I agree that changing colors would waste the glue in the warming chamber. I believe you that the effect would different. I'm putting this on my Round To It list to see if I like the outcome.

Nice effect. Was it difficult to get the hot glue off the first one?
Actually it was easier than I expected. On that one I airbrushed several base coats of white paint and then sanded smooth with several high grit foam-backed pads. This was done to give a little less 'tooth' when the glue was applied - it worked! All the others had a very light base coat because I wanted the glue to adhere better.

Media information

Album
Ghost image
Added by
Tom Gall
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device