1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Proedge question

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Hicks, Jun 23, 2020.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks

I am getting my second proedge sharpener (first OB was trashed by FedEx); and was wondering if there is a good product to stick on the platten to reduce friction On the belt? I had a oscillating edge sander that had some kind of pad on the cast iron platten and it greatly increased the life of the belt. I’m just picking the knowledge base here, as it is very helpful.

2. Joe Kaufman

Joe Kaufman

3. robo hippy

robo hippy

I am not sure how those interface pads work on belt grinders. I have a Jet 1 1/2 hp belt sander and after about 3 days of sanding some metal parts the pad was very worn and uneven. Not sure if they make some thing for 'industrial' type of use and abuse. I do make my tools work up a sweat when I use them.

robo hippy

4. Tom Gall

Tom Gall

I have these graphite platen sheets installed on my 6"x48" belt sander since 1997 - don't think I've ever had to replace it. Granted, I don't use it very often anymore but it used to get a lot of use. Also cut a piece for the platens on my 1" belt sanders. I purchased the 6x18 (3) from Woodworker's Supply in '97 and still have at least one sheet left. They were only $18.95 23 years ago. :D

https://woodworker.com/4-wide-graphite-canvas-mssu-919-610.asp