• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Proedge question

I am getting my second proedge sharpener (first OB was trashed by FedEx); and was wondering if there is a good product to stick on the platten to reduce friction On the belt? I had a oscillating edge sander that had some kind of pad on the cast iron platten and it greatly increased the life of the belt. I’m just picking the knowledge base here, as it is very helpful.

I am not sure how those interface pads work on belt grinders. I have a Jet 1 1/2 hp belt sander and after about 3 days of sanding some metal parts the pad was very worn and uneven. Not sure if they make some thing for 'industrial' type of use and abuse. I do make my tools work up a sweat when I use them.

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have these graphite platen sheets installed on my 6"x48" belt sander since 1997 - don't think I've ever had to replace it. Granted, I don't use it very often anymore but it used to get a lot of use. Also cut a piece for the platens on my 1" belt sanders. I purchased the 6x18 (3) from Woodworker's Supply in '97 and still have at least one sheet left. They were only $18.95 23 years ago. :D

https://woodworker.com/4-wide-graphite-canvas-mssu-919-610.asp

Back