1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Crazy mulberry

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Darrell Stokes, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    I got this mulberry wood today for free via Craigslist. I’ve never seen these red patterns before. Is this common in mulberry?

Edit 2020-08-07: Sorry, everyone! I didn't read the rules about image posting, and posted those pics to the gallery. They were rightly removed. Here's the original photo:

IMG_4285.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Are you sure its mulberry? Looks like flame box elder

3. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Nope, I’m not sure—that’s just what the guy I got it from told me. It was in his mother’s yard. I’ll have to do more research!

4. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    no question, that's box elder. Fresh cut mulberry is bright yellow with white sapwood.

Russell Karkheck likes this.
  5. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
  6. Lou Jacobs

Lou Jacobs

Location (City & State):
    Baltimore, MD
    The wood will turn beautifully, but over time the red figure will fade a bit to a brownish.

7. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Excellent! I’m in the middle of rough-turning a bowl now. It’s sad that the red will fade, but still, it’s spectacular.

8. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    Wait till you put an oil finish on it. Really stands out then.

9. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    I don't like oil on box elder. It can muddy the light color. Spray lacquer is much better, water based imparts little color at all. This piece has Krylon Fixatif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    Ok. That's good

11. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Wow, I see what you mean. Thanks for that tip.

12. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Have you ever turned green box elder to finish instead of twice-turning? How does it hold up in drying? Is it prone to cracking, or mainly just moving in shape?

13. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Location (City & State):
    virginia
    a green bowl will wrap....hf green will hold its shape as long as opening smaller than width.....pretty much all woods except that Texas wood

14. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    Box elder turns very easily, is soft, and not prone to cracking. It can be a little stringy when turned wet, so a shearing cut is required. That little hollow form I posted just weighs ounces, wall thickness of 3/32, turned from green to finished in one session.

15. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Good to know. I rough-turned the first piece, but I think I'll fully turn the next one and see how it turns out.

IMG_4289.jpeg

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  16. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Bleach in box Elder will Take out the yellow and turn it white which makes the red pop.
    These were bleached and then finished with a water based poly with uv inhibited added. E1237F8D-C366-4128-81E0-A89B34D499B0.jpeg

17. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    If you keep it out of sunlight, including indoor sunlight, the red can last years.

18. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND

I have a shed full of box-elder, love the color! When you say bleached, how do I go about that? I want the red to pop and the rest like your examples, white. Full strength or diluted, soak it, how long? I have some Elm with coloring, would it also work for that species?

I've found when using this wood, if I turn small bowls/boxes, I can microwave for 1.5 minutes and it dries out pretty good with little to no warping (saw it in a video). Wife will make comments about the smell so I do it when she's off doing her thing.

19. hockenbery

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    I use 2 part wood bleach by Klean Strip. There was an article in the AAW journal on making you own.
    Pretty simple. Part A Is mostly lye and part B is mostly hydrogen peroxide.
    Klean strip is hard to get now. Home Depot stopped carrying it a long time back.

I Wear goggles and nitrile gloves.
    I mix the two parts and use a foam brush to wet the whole piece. When it dries it bleaches.
    Putting the piece in the sun on a nice day can speed. Takes about an hour to dry.
    A second bleach coat is seldom necessary but can be done as soon as the first is dry if you think it needs it.

20. Timothy Allen

Timothy Allen

Location (City & State):
    NH and ME
  21. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    W
    Wow, those are gorgeous. I haven’t tried bleaching yet, but maybe that’s in my near future.

22. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    I went back for one piece of box elder that was left. What would be the best way to process this for bowls and/or platters, given the shape? I've really only processed much rounder stuff so far.

(Human added for scale.)

Attached Files:

23. hockenbery

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Darrel , these buttresses/ lobes offer some excellent natural edge opportunities. The oval ness of the one at the top will give really high end wings for a dramatic rim.

piece A on the right will have a really cool lookin rim on the end facing. If the indent goes to the other end that would be extra if not you will have terrific NE Rim with a more regular rim on the other end sort of a heart shape.

all the other lobes offer similar rims. These are rims you rarely get from logs.

0375B4BF-942D-48C6-B3C9-FC530C580DEB.jpeg

This bowl about 12” diameter came from a beech tree with a similar base to you box elder.
    Something like piece “A” but a deeper notch than yours appears to have. This piece looks so much better without the bark.

36C9C221-ED54-47FF-B563-A02341395F25.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  24. Darrell Stokes

Darrell Stokes

Location (City & State):
    Kingston, NY
    Thanks a lot, Al. I need to get tools for hollowing so I can advance to vases and hollow forms. For now, I’m making NE bowls from this box elder and it’s lovely.

25. Davey Jones Johnson

Davey Jones Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Kokomo, IN
    yep mulberry is positively bright yellow for a while after it is fresh cut. like all wood will darken in time. I have a bowl I did years ago in now a light brown. I turned it green, few days later took in the factory and sand blasted it in a cabinet sand blaster. tis a neat effect. a wire wheel will do the same but limited. you got a better deal with the box elder, but NOT all Box elder has the red.

Darrell Stokes likes this.