• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

chuck

1. Raja Abusharr

Is VM120 too big for my lathe?

I use a Powermatic 2014 (14", 1HP, 200lb weight) and an Axminister SK100 Clubman chuck, both my first turning gear since beginning last summer. I have wanted a second chuck and concluded that a Vicmarc stepjaw kit give me good flexibility. So I have looked at the bare VM100 or the VM120 chucks...
  2. B

Nova G3 Scroll Chuck Body Only

I have accumulated several jaw sets. Would be nice to get a second body. Can't seem to find one. Any suggestions? Are there other manufacturers that are compatible? Thanks
  3. Peter D'Attomo

Nova jaws, PSI chuck for sale

Nova jaws 3" id x 4" od, $45 shipped conus PSI type C 1x8 chuck with serrated jaws,4" id, tommy bars $70.00 shipped, conus CTC: Peter zorro4122@yahoo.com
  4. David Propst

SOLD: Stronghold Chuck

Sold… Oneway Stronghold Chuck with #2 Jaws, chuck key and Allen wrench. 1-1/4" spindle thread adapter. Used, works fine, the gears turn smoothly. For Sale $165. Includes USPS Priority Shipping to US address. PayPal Preferred.
  5. John Torchick

Cleaning a chuck?

I have noticed for a while there is an accumulation of sawdust on and in various parts of my SuperNova2 chuck. Considering disassembling it for a thorough cleaning. Your experience and advice is most welcome. BTW, have an air compressor it that helps.
  6. John Torchick

Bedan tool- bevel up or down?

Made a Bedan tool a while back and was looking at a YT video. The guy turned a recess for a chuck to turn a bowl. He turned with the bevel down. I would think that bevel up would be proper. What is the proper way to use the Bedan tool? More than one way, depending on the application to the wood?
  7. Marty Purselley

teknatool and woodriver chucks

Teknatool nova chuck, woodriver chuck and extra jaws, they both have the inserts that work with older powermatic lathes and have a couple of extra inserts. Also Oneway 3 ½ inch drum chuck and mounting adapter $200 shipped USPS flatrate.
  8. Larry Steinmetz

Fors Sale: Vicmarc VM120 Chuck

Hello, i unfortunately purchased the wrong Vicmarc chuck several months ago. It would cost ~$60 to send back to Australia so I am going to sell it here. It is still in the box it came in as I am still setting up my shop and still have not even fired up my new lathe. I am asking $195 plus...
  9. Michael Ascenzi

Chuck size vs lathe size selection...

So I picked up the Laguna Revo 1216 and I'm finishing up tool selection. The next thing I'm looking at is the chuck. I think I've settled on ordering an Axeminster lathe chuck. But I'm not entirely sure which way to go. Either the sk100 or sk114. I'm looking at those two as, per videos, the...
  10. John Torchick

Keeping the chuck key in sight!

A while back, I was getting ready to drill a piece on the lathe. Reaching for the switch, I noticed the key was still in the Jacobs chuck in the headstock. The key is black with Delta blue plastic coating- hard to notice. I realized even at the low speed, it could result in a nasty injury. My...
  11. Lance Mirrer

NOVA Turning Chuck Jaws 100mm, 50mm, & 25mm

NOVA Chuck Jaws, fits all Nova Chucks (needs adapter for Infinity). Please ask any questions or if need better pics. $50 each set. (not including chuck). Three sets shipped $100. Also interested in trades. What cool turning or woodworking tools are laying around your shop? All reasonable...
  12. John Torchick

Using the indexing on the chuck

I have a Supernova2 chuck and while mounting it recently, I discovered the holes in the back for indexing! Never really paid attention to them in the past. Yep, I'm a slow learner. I'm wanting to make a clock face, either round or square with the interior turned on the lathe, maybe a series of...
  13. John Torchick

AAW magazine article!

The latest issue has an article by John Lucas. It is both an interesting and informative article on indexing on the lathe. Had to run out to the shop and look. My SuperNova2 chuck has holes in the back which I take to be for indexing. John, thanks!
  14. John Torchick

Square end for a lathe chuck?

My grandson and I had a project- screwdriver kit handle covered on another thread. Here is my question- I cut a piece of purple heart on the TS, 2x2x6. I didn't cut the ends on the TS with the miter. I marked the centers to turn to round. When I put the round piece flat into the SuperNova2...
  15. John Torchick

Drilling dowel?

I was going to drill and turn a piece of dowel to make handles for some HSS pieces that will eventually be a Bedan tool and something else that I haven't decided on yet. My dilemma is: The dowel is too small for my Supernova2 chuck and too big for my HF three jaw chuck. Any suggestions, besides...
  16. J

Will Record chuck jaws fit a SuperNova2 chuck?

I have seen several (many) YouTube videos where people say that the Jaws for a Record chuck will fit on the SuperNova2 chuck. Also, claims are that the Sorby Jaws will fit the SuperNova2 chuck. All of the Teknatool documentation says to only use Teknatool jaws which leads me to believe that...
  17. Evan Pearson

How Many Chucks to Get Started?

I've been asking beginner questions as I work on my initial set of equipment and tools, and I've got another! I bought the Nova Comet II lathe and I plan to work my way up to turning some hollow forms such as goblets, boxes, and vases. Nova has their general-purpose G3 chuck which appears to be...
  18. C

Chuck Trouble

I have a 42-inch long wood lathe that I got new on Ebay in December 2015. It came with a drive center and 6-inch faceplate. I bought a grizzly 4-jaw chuck with a spindle adapter. When turning between centers or with the faceplate on the lathe, it runs fine, but when the chuck is on the lathe...
  19. John Torchick

Vibration while turning

I'm playing around with a piece of cherry about 2 inches in diameter, 5 inches long in a SuperNova2 chuck. I'm turning end grain with a 3/8" Benjamin's Best bowl gouge. I have the tool rest set at 90 degrees to the bed. When I start the cut, outside to inside, I hear/feel vibration. I...
  20. J

Is there a difference between a "Scroll Chuck" and a "Woodturning Chuck"?

Some people refer to any woodturning chuck (i.e. SuperNova2) as a Scroll Chuck. Other times / people refer to a chuck using Tommy Bars to tighter as a Scroll Chuck. In precise terms is a SuperNova2 a Scroll Chuck? What is the more generic term for all chucks?
Back