• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning after shoulder replacement surgery

Hi folks, I am going to have left shoulder replacement surgery next Thursday 2/3/2022. I am right hand dominant. I am of course concerned about my woodturning future. If anyone has any anecdotal experiences to share after their replacement surgery, it would ease my mind. Thanks for any feedback.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I think you’ll be fine and the replacement recovery is often shorter than rotator cuff surgery.
I know a couple of folks who had rotator cuff surgery. Both are turning. One had about a year long recovery the other more like 4-6 months. And they could both turn small stuff within a month.

I visited the one year guy at his shop about 4 months after his surgery - he lived about 2 hours away and had some wood for me.. He was doing some bowl turning but had a list of simple jobs for me when I arrived. He couldn’t lift the blanks he was turning. He had a roughed a blank his wife put on the lathe for him before leaving for work. He had me put it in a Chuck for him. He hollowed it while we visited and I prepped an put a new blank on before I left.
This guy had decent range of motion but no strength in his right hand. With his turning style it took no strength to hold the tools so he could turn but not move blanks. He could sharpen tools.

You will likely get some P/T Tell them what you want to do. They can give you both strengthening exercises and coping mechanism to overcome interim strength and range of motion issues.

Good luck

Last edited:
I had hips and a knee done. I got through rehab in half the time that most did. This was mostly due to being in the pool and Tai Chi, which had me in far better shape than most. Talk to your doctor to see what exercising you can do to help you get ready. If it hurts, then don't do it, but anything to improve circulation and respiration is good, even just taking walks. Most of us ain't spring chickens any more....

robo hippy

Can't speak to replacement Dan but it took me 14 weeks after rotator cuff surgery to have the energy/gumption to attempt roughing out this 10" cherry bowl from a section of this log. No real pain but was a little bit sore for a couple days. Good luck to you.
rc1.jpg90036773_10219512958609071_2442423093780545536_n.jpg

My neighbor had hip replacement and was limping around his house the next week, he is about 65...he was doing alot better than I did after my rotator cuff surgery. Some amazing advancements in the replacement field.

Nothing will be more important than your sticking to the physical therapy. The more interest you show to your PT person in your improving, the more dedicated they tend to be toward you. Yes, P.T. can be uncomfortable - to - painful during this period - but literally - your commitment to P.T. will determine the majority of your recovery of strength and range of motion.
I can speak to this issue as I have been a "frequent flyer" for orthopedic surgeons.
Twice broken back . 5 major knee surgeries including bone and tendon grafts. Removal of 1" of the left clavicle and complete shoulder re-build . Left heel blown off and put back together - sort of...All tendons to left toes severed. Permanent crease in my skull. Shrapnel above the inside of the left ankle. And...approx. 1/2 of the major bones of the body broken at least once.
Let me encourage you. I am 63 - and have seen much of this world, not the tourist destinations....But I am at the gym with my trainer 3 times a week. Functional training including stretching and flexibility and balance training. I can get up from the floor - quickly and with a maximum of using one hand. I can dead lift multiple sets of 275 lbs. ( I and 6'1" and 220 lbs.) 2 minute planks. 30 pushups - full military - no knees or "girl" push ups. Chin ups/pull ups...etc.
My point is - YOU can. No one can for you. But, YOU can do it. Find your incentive and focus on it. Is YOUR main focus to be able to pick up the grandchild? Is it to turn as you did before? Gardening? Whatever it is - focus on that while you rehab.
You CAN be better than before.
T

I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders with no problems. Recently I found out that the left shoulder has a torn rotator again, for which the best solution is shoulder replacement. I'm postponing that as long as I can. However, while there might not be quite as much flexibility as an "unfixed" shoulder would have, I would doubt that you will have problems turning since the goal of shoulder replacement is to remedy significant pain and movement problems. I would guess you'll see a significant improvement in your life after recovery and won't have any problems turning.

I was told I needed shoulder replacement 7 years ago by the VA. I have been waiting ever since. It kind of sucks when you cannot lift you arm past your chest. Turning has at least let me learn some crazy ways to hold a gouge!

I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders with no problems. Recently I found out that the left shoulder has a torn rotator again, for which the best solution is shoulder replacement. I'm postponing that as long as I can. However, while there might not be quite as much flexibility as an "unfixed" shoulder would have, I would doubt that you will have problems turning since the goal of shoulder replacement is to remedy significant pain and movement problems. I would guess you'll see a significant improvement in your life after recovery and won't have any problems turning.
Thanks Randy, best wishes for a solution for your situation, your encouraging words are appreciated greatly.

No shoulder, hip, or knee joint replacement, but I have 2 lumber disc replacements. I’ve had ~ 25 orthopedic surgeries resulting from 15 years of football and a 3 motorcycle get-off’s. As others said, pt is the most important. What hasn’t been covered is it never ends. Far too many people do the assigned # of visits and think they can stop. Don’t. Use the pt sessions to rehab, but also to learn, and ask the pt which things you need to continue to do. After injury life will be much better that way. You can also take it as opportunity to exercise/condition the rest of your body to improve function (if you dont already).

Dan,
The comments from the remarkably many forum members who have had rotator cuff surgery probably don't apply to you very well. The reason they had surgery and the nature of their surgery is different. Their surgery made them tighter and with shoulders, it takes a whole lot of work and time to make them properly loose. You are probably having surgery because you're too tight already, and surgery will immediately make you looser and have less pain. Absolutely, you will need PT afterwards and you should listen to the comments about being diligent about it. BUT my prediction is that you will feel remarkably better after your surgery and the doctors will caution you not to do too much. I can't think of any reason that you wouldn't be able to turn anything you want, once they give you the green light. Maybe they'll suggest you have a hoist or something to mount 40 pound blanks, but the turning part should be zero problem.

Dan,
The comments from the remarkably many forum members who have had rotator cuff surgery probably don't apply to you very well. The reason they had surgery and the nature of their surgery is different. Their surgery made them tighter and with shoulders, it takes a whole lot of work and time to make them properly loose. You are probably having surgery because you're too tight already, and surgery will immediately make you looser and have less pain. Absolutely, you will need PT afterwards and you should listen to the comments about being diligent about it. BUT my prediction is that you will feel remarkably better after your surgery and the doctors will caution you not to do too much. I can't think of any reason that you wouldn't be able to turn anything you want, once they give you the green light. Maybe they'll suggest you have a hoist or something to mount 40 pound blanks, but the turning part should be zero problem.
Thanks Dean, you are correct, rotator cuff vs replacement turns out to be way different recoveries. I ran into an old friend with a shoulder replacement 3 weeks post op who had little post op pain and very good range of motion already...but he was not a woodturner. Gut feeling is I will be ok, when the time is right. Your points of emphasis are well considered and much appreciated. I plan on memorializing my recovery on here, so down the line others may benefit from my experience.

Well I've had the surgery, 3 days post op now. It's going to be a long haul, the pain is pretty bad which doesn't surprise me. I'll probably wait a few months before I comment further. Enjoy turning, its a true blessing!

Hope all goes well for you. Had same op some years ago and being a builder I thought it would be hard. I made sure I used my hammer above shoulder height
no nail gun now I have full motion.

Well I've had the surgery, 3 days post op now. It's going to be a long haul, the pain is pretty bad which doesn't surprise me. I'll probably wait a few months before I comment further. Enjoy turning, its a true blessing!
Dean, I have 2 friends that underwent shoulder replacement surgery. Certainly, the first few weeks after surgery were unpleasant, to say the least. Both were well aware of the need for PT and rehab after PT. After surgery, PT, and ongoing rehab, both were able to return to a very productive life. I personally endured 9 months of formal PT and then daily rehab following reconstructive surgery on my right wrist. You may experience some days of doom and gloom, maybe even moments of depression, BUT grit your teeth, ask for divine intervention and keep moving forward.

Hi folks, I am going to have left shoulder replacement surgery next Thursday 2/3/2022. I am right hand dominant. I am of course concerned about my woodturning future. If anyone has any anecdotal experiences to share after their replacement surgery, it would ease my mind. Thanks for any feedback.
I've had both shoulders replaced. Total shoulder replacement, and have had no problems with turning. The only problem is doing overhead work. Not much strength above shoulder height. Shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

Back