• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

willow

Website
www.schwingwoodworks.com
In my opinion it is not worth the hassle of cutting it up into bowl blanks. It is very difficult to turn, extremely tear out prone and soft. I have seen a couple of nice looking bowls turned from willow, but I have yet to produce one. I will pass on it every chance I get.

It's really very attractive but is a PITA to turn. I turn it but only when I can get burls or crotch wood. I can guarantee, though, that working with willow will give you lots of practice in improving your gouge and sanding techniques (or convince you to give up turning).

Also, be prepared to get very wet. It will spray a steady stream of water till it's almost done. If you can mill it and let it dry for a few years, it turns much easier.

Dietrich

Sure that wasn't Oak, Steve? My willow had no real odor but, man, that oak can put out a stink! Smells like a combo of cat pee, vomit, and swamp. Scary thing is, I've actually come to kinda like it. Ewwww.

Dietrich

Willow Bowl

I saw a "free wood" sign and picked up a couple of logs. Turned out to be weeping willow. The wood is very soft and light and a bit fuzzy. The logs I had were already quite dry but surprisingly no cracks. I didn't notice any smell at all when turning. Finished it with corn oil and was surprised at the dark grain.

Attachments

• P6110096.jpg
    P6110096.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 67
It'll make a man out of you, and a privy out of your shop, as others have indicated. It's loaded with water, some of it pretty stagnant and fragrant, and it's also interlocked, soft and fuzzy-grained. Don't worry too much about the fuzz as you rough, it'll diminish when the wood's dry. It will teach you how to present an edge, and how sharp it should be, so experiment with your free wood. You can cut it and produce continuous shavings, it's just not as easy as with maple or cherry.

It looks great when dried and re-turned, though it will suck a lot of finish before the shimmer emerges. The thirty or so bowls I got out of my downed willow practically jumped off the shelves. It also has thick, cork-like bark that makes for wonderful interupted edge stuff, but you'll want to stiffen the soft layer with some shellac or CA to protect it as you turn and from customers when they handle.

It's almost bulletproof in drying, so no coatings or special care required. DO NOT DRY IT IN THE MICROWAVE, as it will quickly make the room uninhabitable, and the microwave used a permanent part of your shop as well as an endless joke for the spouse at parties.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Burls

Every bad thing that has been said so far is true!!
HOWEVER, the burl wood can be very pretty and is actually worth the aggravation (IMO) I'm working on a weeping willow hollow form now.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Wow, the good threads never die. :D

It'll make a man out of you, and a privy out of your shop ...

It's almost bulletproof in drying, so no coatings or special care required. DO NOT DRY IT IN THE MICROWAVE, as it will quickly make the room uninhabitable, and the microwave used a permanent part of your shop as well as an endless joke for the spouse at parties.

It sounds like you know "someone" who shared his sad experience to save others from a similar fate. ;)

Back