• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

VersaFlo M-407 Hard Hat--SOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long F/S post--to provide full background...

The packaged VersaFlo system from 3M that includes hardhat & blower system (3M model TR-300-HIK) sells for $1,600 to $1,800 (or more). Thanks to past posts on this forum, i learned that the system built for healthcare with a fabric hood instead of helmet (model TR-300-ECK), and there is a surplus of those systems unused post-Covid. That system can be bought on the major auction house for around $450, unused. The addition of a safety helmet (model M-307 or M-407) adds a high-end hard hat and premium high-impact visor. Those are similar, but the M-407 has a fire-resistant cowling and belaclava (designed for the welding market), while the M-307 has a vinyl face-seal. When i put mine together, i couldn't find any M-307's for less than the $450 or so retail, so i ended up scoring a M-407 with damaged box for about $300. Have used it only a few times, mostly because i keep the batteries in the house, and the rest of the system is in the garage shop. Very comfortable, though on 85 degree days the cowling holds a little heat!! (the air flow helps mitigate that a lot)

I'm committed to using my system more, and came to the conclusion that if i picked up an M-307 helmet (with no cowling) and used it in place of my Bionic face shield ALL the time--i'd be safer from any detonating blanks and it's easy to throw on the belt and hose for sanding. So...i bought a M-307 hard-hat last week, and am posting the M-407 for sale here. Would be good to use with TR-300-ECK which can still be bought for about $450 shipped on the auction. With the fire resistant cowling, might be ideal for somebody that does metal-work as well--welding gases are probably as bad as sanding dust.

Asking $240 for the M-407 shipped to Continental US. Alaska, Hawaii and territories will be the same if the USPS rates are close to UPS rates on the continent. I have no urgency to sell, if somebody wants to take a little time to self-educate and/or shop for the TR-300-ECK, i'd have no problem reserving this to give them time to organize thoughts--i went through this decision process a few years ago, so i can relate to the agony (and how foreign all the above must sound). Feel free to ask questions--might even be a great topic for a post in the appropriate sub-forum.

PM here, or email greenacres2012@gmail.com with questions or interest. Thanks!!

M-407 A.jpgM-407 B.jpg

Good luck with the sale. I have the M-307 hanging by my shop door and usually put it on when I walk in. You will find that you want the air flow on hot days even when not sanding! Also get the tear off shields that cover the facemask. This will save you a lot of grief.

Good luck with the sale. I have the M-307 hanging by my shop door and usually put it on when I walk in. You will find that you want the air flow on hot days even when not sanding! Also get the tear off shields that cover the facemask. This will save you a lot of grief.
Thanks Darryn. Have been doing the same with a Bionic shield, so the habit is in place--just changing shields for better head protection.

Are you using the 3M tear-offs or off-brand? I'm seeing 3M in packs of 50 or 60, or off-brands in 10 packs. The full case of 3M seems like a huge supply, though i can "see" them being great to keep finishes off!!

I received a pack of 40 tear offs when buying the helmet. Turning wet wood, finishes, inlay glue. Keeps anything that can get on your lathe bed or walls off of your shield. I turn a lot of really wet woods and it's very convenient to wipe off the tear off a few times until it becomes time to switch it out.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Long F/S post--to provide full background...

The packaged VersaFlo system from 3M that includes hardhat & blower system (3M model TR-300-HIK) sells for $1,600 to $1,800 (or more). Thanks to past posts on this forum, i learned that the system built for healthcare with a fabric hood instead of helmet (model TR-300-ECK), and there is a surplus of those systems unused post-Covid. That system can be bought on the major auction house for around $450, unused. The addition of a safety helmet (model M-307 or M-407) adds a high-end hard hat and premium high-impact visor. Those are similar, but the M-407 has a fire-resistant cowling and belaclava (designed for the welding market), while the M-307 has a vinyl face-seal. When i put mine together, i couldn't find any M-307's for less than the $450 or so retail, so i ended up scoring a M-407 with damaged box for about $300. Have used it only a few times, mostly because i keep the batteries in the house, and the rest of the system is in the garage shop. Very comfortable, though on 85 degree days the cowling holds a little heat!! (the air flow helps mitigate that a lot)

I'm committed to using my system more, and came to the conclusion that if i picked up an M-307 helmet (with no cowling) and used it in place of my Bionic face shield ALL the time--i'd be safer from any detonating blanks and it's easy to throw on the belt and hose for sanding. So...i bought a M-307 hard-hat last week, and am posting the M-407 for sale here. Would be good to use with TR-300-ECK which can still be bought for about $450 shipped on the auction. With the fire resistant cowling, might be ideal for somebody that does metal-work as well--welding gases are probably as bad as sanding dust.

Asking $240 for the M-407 shipped to Continental US. Alaska, Hawaii and territories will be the same if the USPS rates are close to UPS rates on the continent. I have no urgency to sell, if somebody wants to take a little time to self-educate and/or shop for the TR-300-ECK, i'd have no problem reserving this to give them time to organize thoughts--i went through this decision process a few years ago, so i can relate to the agony (and how foreign all the above must sound). Feel free to ask questions--might even be a great topic for a post in the appropriate sub-forum.

PM here, or email greenacres2012@gmail.com with questions or interest. Thanks!!

View attachment 62521View attachment 62522
I'll take it.

I'll take it.
It's yours Emiliano. Reply to your PM coming in a few minutes. Thanks!!

EDIT--now that i've had my morning oatmeal...there's some beautiful symmetry in Emaliano's purchase of this helmet. His posts on how to assemble the components at reduced pricing are what made it possible for me to be able to afford the VersaFlo system to start with. Much thanks to Emaliano and the others who cast light on my path!!

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
It's yours Emiliano. Reply to your PM coming in a few minutes. Thanks!!

EDIT--now that i've had my morning oatmeal...there's some beautiful symmetry in Emaliano's purchase of this helmet. His posts on how to assemble the components at reduced pricing are what made it possible for me to be able to afford the VersaFlo system to start with. Much thanks to Emaliano and the others who cast light on my path!!
That was an EPIC long thread! Now I have to go around to buy the breathe easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back