• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum chuck - best options for a newby

I am looking to get a vacuum chuck. From what I have read and been told they are a superior choice for finishing the bottom of bowls than a Cole or Longworth chuck.

Question is:

1) which vacuum chuck system ?
2) how to create the vacuum ? I am thinking an air compressor with a vacuum generator based on advice from a friend.

For the vacuum chuck - I prefer to buy vs build. I have seen two major brands - any insights on quality, pros and cons ? They are:
1) Simple Woodturning Tools
2) Holdfast

For the air compressor:
1) any reason not to go with a Harbour Freight Fortress ? I have heard many people trash HF but all reviews I have read seem to day this compressor is a winner ! Thoughts. A fried suggested California Air Tools. Is it really worth the extra dollars ? HF sells a 2 yr replacement plan.
2) what size compressor do I need ? One friend told me 30gallon capacity. Will 26 do ? What about 15 ? How do I get a feel for capacity requirements ? Can I go with a smaller/cheaper (but quiet) unit ? Or will I regret it.
3) I plan to use the compressor for everything turning related. Vacuum chuck, blower for vessels to get the shavings out, eventually to drive a power carving handheld tool, etc...

thanks for your insight !
Allen

Allen,

My first vacuum chuck system was Holdfasts's venturi vacuum generator. I used it in conjunction with Lowe's Kobalt 4.3 gallon quiet air compressor and Holdfast's 3" chuck. The setup worked fine but the venturi vacuum generator needed to be torn down and cleaned two or three times a year. That wasn't difficult to do but always seemed to happen at the most inconvenient time. I use thinned sanding sealer to raise the grain and any little bit will, even if you think it is dry, will gum up the internals quickly. The customer service from Holdfast was excellent when I needed it.

I have since then changed to a vacuum generator from Frugal Vacuum, and couldn't be happier. Its a great system and was easy to set up. I don't believe it was significantly more expensive than Holdfast's vacuum generator. I still use, and like, my 3" chuck. I have since added a six inch chuck from Oneway. There is a lot of good information on making your own chucks if you ever decide to do so.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Allen, do a search on this site for "vacuum, vacuum pumps, vacuum chucks, etc." and you will find a lot of information.

I would much rather run a fractional HP motor (mine is 1/4HP) rather than a 2 - 5 HP compressor motor with a venturi type system. Much quieter and way more economical. And, the vac pump (at least the one I have) is continuous duty.

I see you're fairly close to me in NJ - you're welcome to pay a visit if you want. I've been using vacuum chucking for 27 years now and I think I have all the bugs worked out. ;)

I have a small shop and simply did not want something else I don't have space for. I already had 40+ yr old 20 gal Craftsman compressor in my setup (I want to replace it but it just won't wear out! So I can't justify.) So the Holdfast made the most sense for me. I have been very happy with performance. I blow out the spindle before attaching the vac, and I use an inline filter between the spindle and venturi as well as a moisture filter between venturi and compressor. I've done large and heavy projects and never had a problem. As with any vac system, just keep it clean. I had a friend in our local club who recently lost a 24" maple piece using a 1/2 hp pump because of dust clogging the pump, piece flew off. So, which ever direction you go keeping the system rather clean is most important.

I have a spare holdfast with two chuck if you are interested, message me and we can work something out.

Hello Allen ,

I have a vacuum chuck that works great for me and I have for sale in the for sale area with my woodfast lathe. Let me know if you’re interested, it can be sold separately from my lathe

I can take some specific photos for you if your interested.

Matt

I used the hold fast for two years, it worked great. The almost constant running of the compressor (60 gallon upright), made me change over to a frugal vacuum pump. Very quiet and I can use it for vacuum stabilizing wood also.

@Allen Seidman you may already know this, but jam/friction chucks are an excellent and cheap method to finish the bottom of projects. Just in case you aren’t aware of them.
I use jam chucks as my standard right now. That last min where my tailstock locks in is the issue so I am looking for a way to hold the bowl without a tailstock. My mentor agrees with you and has assured me it's doable with practice - So I am practicing !

I use jam chucks as my standard right now. That last min where my tailstock locks in is the issue so I am looking for a way to hold the bowl without a tailstock. My mentor agrees with you and has assured me it's doable with practice - So I am practicing !

Was unsuccssful in finding the video of doing this, so I’ll describe it. Whittle the nub down as far as you are comfortable (I make a cone with the small end ~ level with the foot). I use a 1/2” spindle gouge. Take that tip down to 1/4-3/8”, put the tip of the gouge (flute away from the flute) right where it meets the foot and scribe a line, turn the gouge slightly ccw, to trim just a bit, then turn the lathe off, leave the gouge in place. Rotate the bowl by hand, push the gouge in, with a slight ccw rotation, until the nub gives up. Can also cut the small nub off with a flexible pull saw, like for dowel trimming. For face grain a chisel works pretty well also, not so much for end grain. Give it a shot - As I started turning NE bowls and more HF’s my cole/jumbo jaws were not going to work, so I had to find a way, and investing in vac stuff didnt interest me.

For those who use the Frugal system - anyone have the full 3-in-One setup? It seems new since I last visited the site, maybe not. It looks interesting enough to go that route but I'd like to know more from people with experience. I have a ton of rough turned bowls to finish over the next few months and though jam chucking works ok, it may be time to invest in this. Frugal I've seen in person and club members also say good things so it's a no-brainer. Just want to learn more and be sure to choose the right setup.

Screenshot_20211104-142440_Chrome.jpg

For those who use the Frugal system - anyone have the full 3-in-One setup?
That looks to be a new offering. I don't have personal experience, but I watched the two videos and it certainly is interesting. It does give you some size choices w/o the need to make new chucks, but I don't think the holding power will be any different. Given the width of the angel wing seals it may be a little more forgiving of a piece that's a little warped.

It's interesting that as the vacuum is applied the angel wing seal actually slides down the outside of the PVC until the rim of the PVC contacts the bowl bottom. So a tall narrow form might be a problem. But that could be solved by adding a Foamy gasket to the PVC rim when needed (it would also add some friction. Alternatively, since the chucks are made from couplings you can just add a short length of straight pipe to make the chuck deeper.

I guess the only question I have is whether when swapping out the PVC components the chuck remains square? I think Bob offers a money back guarantee, though.

That looks to be a new offering. I don't have personal experience, but I watched the two videos and it certainly is interesting. It does give you some size choices w/o the need to make new chucks, but I don't think the holding power will be any different. Given the width of the angel wing seals it may be a little more forgiving of a piece that's a little warped.

It's interesting that as the vacuum is applied the angel wing seal actually slides down the outside of the PVC until the rim of the PVC contacts the bowl bottom. So a tall narrow form might be a problem. But that could be solved by adding a Foamy gasket to the PVC rim when needed (it would also add some friction. Alternatively, since the chucks are made from couplings you can just add a short length of straight pipe to make the chuck deeper.

I guess the only question I have is whether when swapping out the PVC components the chuck remains square? I think Bob offers a money back guarantee, though.
Changing out seems it would be easier, meaning you can swap sizes without pulling anything out of the headstock or disconnecting the pump, right? Just remove two screws and swap out for a larger or smaller size and replace the two screws on the chuck, as I understand it. I'm sure there are other positives, but that seems to be one.

Changing out seems it would be easier, meaning you can swap sizes without pulling anything out of the headstock or disconnecting the pump, right?
Well, I guess that's true, but I don't see it as a great benefit. I can't think of any occasion where I was using one vacuum chuck on a project and felt like I wanted to switch to a different size. In fact I only have one suck chuck, but hey, YMMV :cool:.
I do see a benefit in getting three sizes without having to make or buy them separately.

I should mention, too, that it is very easy to install/remove the frugal style suck chucks. The vac hose from the pump is just friction fit with the hose going to the chuck. The chuck itself just threads on and off the spindle. No tools (or cursing) needed.

The 3 in 1 seems to be very similar to the vacuum hub that JT Turning Tools was selling. I've been using one for years - it works great - a couple of differences: the JT hub had used an o-ring to seal the base of the pvc adapter. It actually fit into a groove in the hub. The angel wings are interesting - I'd have to see those in action. Rubber Chucky sells a set of seals for the same size adapters that work great. One thing I do is to seat an adapter and face it off with a scraper to make sure its running true before putting the seal on.

I've been trying to interest Robust in machining their own version of the JT hub since they are building a knock off of the JT vacuum adapter that they sold for years. It's the best rotary vac adapter available, bar none. With Tom at JT now passed, its good to see his tool designs being carried on...

I have the Frugal System and have been very happy with the operation and easy of use of the system. It is very basic in the parts and you can find replacement parts at your local hardwaare store or from Frugal.

Back