• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ultra Quiet Air Compressor: It’s for real!

Didn’t know where to post this, but this felt like an ok spot. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with my air compressor for years. I love using it to blow out chips, clear dust from sanding, clean off the lathe, etc. However, I’ve always used a portable unit. I just don’t have space for anything large. So, the noise just kills me. I’m very careful with my ears (have some hearing loss), so I end up having to put on hearing protection, turn it on and let it fill, turn it off, etc. And the times I forgot to turn it off and it comes on? I just about jump out of my skin. So I finally tried an ultra-quiet one instead. Oh my goodness! I simply cannot get over how quiet it actually is! Was at the lathe all afternoon and just left it on the whole time. Could hardly even tell when it was running. Anyway, that’s all. Just a PSA in case any else loves AND hates their compressor.

(Note from administrator: The post has been edited to remove a link to the seller and the brand of the air compressor. It is a violation of forum rules to start a thread promoting a particular product, and especially bad to post a link to a particular seller. It doesn't matter whether there is or isn't a pecuniary benefit. FWIW, there are a number of ultra-quiet air compressors on the market. It is easy to find them using a search engine.)

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I had a CAT 5gal compressor (no longer available) for years. Loved it. Decided I needed a bigger unit. Found a Menards/Masterforce 20al ultra quiet on sale for less than the CAT 10gal upright. Menards online specs said 67dec which is what my older CAT 5gal unit was rated. The Masterforce unit ended up being 88decibels. Too loud for my basement shop. Returned it and bought the CAT 10gal upright. Way quieter at 70db.

By the way - the CAT 10gal upright does sayd 70db on their online specs. When I checked with a decibel app on my Iphone, it was closer to 78db. Called CAT tech support to see if I had a defective unit. They said the sound ratings were rated at 20ft. He also said most normal non-ultra quiet compressors can be between 90-100db. I stepped back 20ft and sure enough 70db. My neighbor just bought a Menards ultra quiet and I went and checked to see what my sound app said at 20ft. The Menards unit was still 85db. I told him about my CAT. he came over and looked it over. He returned the Menards unit and bought the CAT 20gal upright.

My experience wasn't so good. I replaced a loud Ingersoll Rand which I'd had for twelve years with the California Air Tools 20 gallon unit. After four years it quit. I had an electrician friend check and he said the motor windings were shot. Since the motor is in between the compressors it would have been cost prohibitive to take it apart and rewind the motor. I gave it to my neighbor who took the top stuff off and uses it as an air bomb in his garage. In fairness I have a smaller one and that's doing fine so far.

My experience wasn't so good. I replaced a loud Ingersoll Rand which I'd had for twelve years with the California Air Tools 20 gallon unit. After four years it quit. I had an electrician friend check and he said the motor windings were shot. Since the motor is in between the compressors it would have been cost prohibitive to take it apart and rewind the motor. I gave it to my neighbor who took the top stuff off and uses it as an air bomb in his garage. In fairness I have a smaller one and that's doing fine so far.
Sorry to hear that! I honestly don’t know anything about CAT. I’m just excited about having a truly quiet compressor. 4 years for the big unit is not good at all!

I do have an old 60 gallon compressor that is pretty loud. I had thought about the California Compressors. Seems that I remember some saying that while they are very quiet, they have trouble keeping up with high volume air flow tools. Anyone know?

robo hippy

Both the California and the Makita quiet series are rated at 60db. I have a 2 gallon Makita that’s been working well for me. It‘s not big enough to run a high volume tool (die grinder, for instance) but great for other stuff. Makita is expensive, but I enjoy the quality of their tools.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I do have an old 60 gallon compressor that is pretty loud. I had thought about the California Compressors. Seems that I remember some saying that while they are very quiet, they have trouble keeping up with high volume air flow tools. Anyone know?

robo hippy
They have the cfm ratings on their webpage. My 10gal keeps up fine when I’m texturing with a small H.Freight right angle grinder. But, I don’t use bigger air tools so can’t speak to that.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I invested in this one, after burning through 3 60-gallon Husky Compressors in ten years. California Air with Sound Proof cabinet

It wasn't cheap. But I was tired of buying a new compressor every 2-3 years and having to haul it up a flight of stairs to the second floor of the barn. I'm old. Because the second floor isn't insulated, the drastic temperature swings in NH likely was the cause of the short life. So, the CA compressor had to live on the first floor where I do all my work. It is very quiet, but I still wear ear protection. It works great for everything I need a compressor for, and for the two tools that are huge air pigs, one of the 60-gallon tanks was left on the second floor, with no motor. That tank was linked to the main lines, and when I run my Grex ROA sander, or my die grinder, I turn the CA compressor on, let it fill, then open the valve for the 60-gallon tank upstairs. It gives me more air to run those tools. I turn that valve off when I'm done, so there is almost always a full tank of air when I need it. But I limit my run time on those tools to no more than 30 minutes, and a 30-minute break.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I keep a cheap, loud 60 gal compressor down in the basement/stable under the barn. I can barely hear it -- less and less as the years go by ;-) With a long run of copper pipe the air seems to have a chance to cool off and little to no water comes out where I'm using the air. Downside is I only remember to drain the water out of the tank about twice a year. It's been chugging away for about 25 years now, so I can't imagine I've shortened its life by much.

Like @Marc Banka i bought a small Makita quiet series , this one for our 5th wheel…it’s QUIET!! When my 30gal Lowes compressor at home gives up the ghost I’ll be looking for something quiet to replace it with. Can’t tell you the grin I get each time I use it and can keep talking to someone, or just enjoying the peace

Didn’t know where to post this, but this felt like an ok spot. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with my air compressor for years. I love using it to blow out chips, clear dust from sanding, clean off the lathe, etc. However, I’ve always used a portable unit. I just don’t have space for anything large. So, the noise just kills me. I’m very careful with my ears (have some hearing loss), so I end up having to put on hearing protection, turn it on and let it fill, turn it off, etc. And the times I forgot to turn it off and it comes on? I just about jump out of my skin. So I finally tried an ultra quiet one instead. Oh my goodness! I simply cannot get over how quiet it actually is! Was at the lathe all afternoon and just left it on the whole time. Could hardly even tell when it was running. Anyway, that’s all. Just a PSA in case any else loves AND hates their compressor. Below is the one I got—on sale right now at Amazon.
View attachment 51730
I have the exact same model. Been using it for about 3 years without a problem, but for pretty light duty, mainly just for the blowgun at the lathe and another at the bench. I thought about getting a bigger CAT compressor for some sand blasting, but I don't have room in my breaker box for another 220v circuit. I'm thinking about a mid size Quincy compressor instead.

Ultra low noise sounds great. I am a bit skeptical of oilless piston pumps though in terms of longevity. The CAT site refers to "life before wear" varying from1-4000 hours for consumer, contractor and industrial versions. I imagine that means a teardown of the pump and replacing rings at the least. That may be fine for the average turner, but is low for a commercial woodshop where a compressor may be running easily >500 hrs per year. Low speed (<1000 rpm) high quality oil-lubed pumps like Quincy are expected to last decades with normal maintenance.

My point is, clean compressed air is not cheap so do your research before investing in a system. Assess your cfm requirements and get a unit that won't run more than 50% of the time at that rate or adjust your usage so it won't be on for more than 30 mins. straight w/ a 30 min. break. I run a 5hp SpeedAire in an insulated attic space which keeps the noise quite tolerable. It runs continuously to keep up with a Grex sander or similar, so I take breaks when using high consumption tools.

Last edited:
Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
I invested in this one, after burning through 3 60-gallon Husky Compressors in ten years. California Air with Sound Proof cabinet

It wasn't cheap. But I was tired of buying a new compressor every 2-3 years and having to haul it up a flight of stairs to the second floor of the barn. I'm old. Because the second floor isn't insulated, the drastic temperature swings in NH likely was the cause of the short life. So, the CA compressor had to live on the first floor where I do all my work. It is very quiet, but I still wear ear protection. It works great for everything I need a compressor for, and for the two tools that are huge air pigs, one of the 60-gallon tanks was left on the second floor, with no motor. That tank was linked to the main lines, and when I run my Grex ROA sander, or my die grinder, I turn the CA compressor on, let it fill, then open the valve for the 60-gallon tank upstairs. It gives me more air to run those tools. I turn that valve off when I'm done, so there is almost always a full tank of air when I need it. But I limit my run time on those tools to no more than 30 minutes, and a 30-minute break.
Donna, you are not old. You are older. Old is 15 years older than your current age.

I have a 60 gallon twin cylinder (both at home and at my shop) that I put in a separate room. They're noisy, but much better with some walls or floors in between. I've been fascinated with the silence (and output) of my wife's CPAP machine. Yes, a side of me wants to pull it apart to see how it works. (but I know better)

My wife has several oxygen concentrators she bought used to make oxygen for her glass torch. They have compressors in them that look just like the CAT ones. Super quiet. One of these days I will pull apart the oldest one to make a combination vac pump and compressor. I don’t have air tools, but it would be nice to have air to blow things off occasionally.

I put the noisy one in the crawlspace under the shop - there’s plenty of clearance on the low side. Planning to move the dust collector down there as well - I need the space they’re in freed up. Added one of the smallest CAT compressors under the workbench for air nailers and blowing stuff out when needed. The lack of compressor noise is astounding and peaceful.

I don't understand. The Admin said in the first posting that "rules" did not allow brand names to be used. But, lots of subsequent posts mention CAT brand. Can someone explain?

As for the topic: I bought a "Fortress" brand compressor from our favorite super discount tool store. It is very quiet (rated at 60 dB, same as CAT) and has worked fine for over a year. I use it for blowing out hollow forms and for powering a dental tool for piercing.

I don't understand. The Admin said in the first posting that "rules" did not allow brand names to be used. But, lots of subsequent posts mention CAT brand. Can someone explain?

As for the topic: I bought a "Fortress" brand compressor from our favorite super discount tool store. It is very quiet (rated at 60 dB, same as CAT) and has worked fine for over a year. I use it for blowing out hollow forms and for powering a dental tool for piercing.
I didn’t realize there was a rule, but it makes sense to me. I didn’t intend to promote any particular brand. I’m glad to hear of another brand!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com

News to me. Brands are mentioned and argued over in these forums on a daily basis, it would seem?

On the other hand, posts that are primarily for promoting "for-profit" ventures and the like are understandably taboo. (and I assume that includes affiliate links, etc.. ) Perhaps that was the mis-understanding? - equating "brand" with "advertising" ?

News to me. Brands are mentioned and argued over in these forums on a daily basis, it would seem?

On the other hand, posts that are primarily for promoting "for-profit" ventures and the like are understandably taboo. (and I assume that includes affiliate links, etc.. ) Perhaps that was the mis-understanding? - equating "brand" with "advertising" ?
When I saw the mod's note to the original post I thought, "Well, that makes sense, but where do I find the official policy?" I found this in the "new rules and faq forum." It seems directed at sellers rather than users, but evidently "touting" stuff by starting a thread or linking to a vendor is frowned upon in any case. Maybe a "terms of service" tab at the top of the homepage and a bit of clarification on this issue would be a good thing.

"Commercial wants-ads are not allowed and will be deleted. Additionally, we do not allow commercial posts in the forums at all. Generally this is limited to starting threads touting, presenting or talking about your product. You are free to comment about a product you are affiliated with providing you did not instigate in any way or encourage that posting. This is in all areas of the forums."
forum rules

Last edited:
When I saw the mod's note to the original post I thought, "Well, that makes sense, but where do I find the official policy?" I found this in the "new rules and faq forum." It seems directed at sellers rather than users, but evidently "touting" stuff by starting a thread or linking to a vendor is frowned upon in any case. Maybe a "terms of service" tab at the top of the homepage and a bit of clarification on this issue would be a good thing.

"Commercial wants-ads are not allowed and will be deleted. Additionally, we do not allow commercial posts in the forums at all. Generally this is limited to starting threads touting, presenting or talking about your product. You are free to comment about a product you are affiliated with providing you did not instigate in any way or encourage that posting. This is in all areas of the forums."
forum rules
Weird, in that this doesn’t seem to apply this this post. I didn’t even post a link—just a screenshot.

No biggie to me. I totally understand wanting to avoid product plugging on here. Again, I’m not intending to sell anything. I’m just a regular guy who’s wanting to share how much I love the quiet compressor. I have no brand loyalty and don’t work for any related company whatsoever.

I also have a CAT compressor, a dual tank maybe 4.6 gallon job. It is noise rated the same as other CAT tools, but I would not call it quiet. Maybe it's quieter than other similar sized carpenter compressors, but it's still the loudest thing in my small shop. I'd love to move it out of the shop, as I did with the vacuum pump and dust collector, but I'm out of room everywhere.

It also developed a problem with the pressure switch after about 3 years of very limited use. Taking things apart was a pain, putting them back together was a bigger pain, getting things leak free was a challenge, and getting the switch to operate correctly was very difficult, even though the switch was exactly the same as the one it replaced. In the 2 years since then, it's run fine, with the limited use I ask of it.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Weird, in that this doesn’t seem to apply this this post. I didn’t even post a link—just a screenshot.
when I first saw the post, it LOOKED like it was a link to a commercial website - your screen shot (Which I almost never do, too easy to catch potentially sensitive personal information in a screen shot - a security thing...) may have included a link and/or the vendor name, and I suppose it could have been seen as "plugging" a vendor or product...
I didn't bother to click through (I wasn't especially interested in a quiet air compressor - I'm deaf so they're ALL quiet as far as I am concerned - LOL!) but I suppose, call it lesson learned..

(FWIW, myself if I wanted to post about something like that I'd likely just have right-clicked the product image and save-as, then upload just the image - much less clutter-y that way, and for me at least much faster than trying to edit a screen shot. But then, I don't use forums or websites on a cell phone - only on my Desktop computer.. again a security thing for me because cell phones can get viruses quite easily, plus my old cell phone couldn't really handle it)

If you really want quiet better to build a sound cabinet, though anything under 70db is not going to be very loud.
Other considerations when buying a compressor are CFM requirements and drying air. If you want to use air tools or spray finish, the compressor setup needs to accommodate that. Since we typically don't use many air tools (me just a random orbital sander) an oiling system is not needed. But we need dry air if we spray finish. Not going to get into all the details of how to do that, just be aware that is a requirement to spray any kind of oil based finish.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Please reread the message. It is against forum rules to START A THREAD promoting or giving a testimonial about a particular product. We don't know if the thread starter is receiving compensation or perks, but that's irrelevant because it's still unsolicited advertising. Almost every time one of these "product reviews" shows up, I get complaints from businesses about their competitor getting free advertising or preferred treatment.

On the other hand, if somebody asks for recommendations such as "what lathe/gouge/sandpaper/chuck/air compressor etc other turners like and why" then forum members may (even encouraged to) expound like a fanboy about their favorite product.

I'm assuming high quality compressors from the old days were quieter than newer models. Mine is pre-1950. Strange deal how I got it. I went to look at a 1940 Ford woodie. I had a handshake deal with the widow selling it and came back next morning with a cashier's check. Prior to my getting there somebody had come in and offered more than her asking price. She felt bad about the deal so said I could have anything in the garage for free.

Under the work bench was a compressor. The top of the bench had collapsed when in 1950 a new crate motor for the woodie had been put on the bench. The lady said it worked fine and her recently late husband always used it. I flipped the switch and watched the pressure build up which only went to 25 psi. I declined the compressor, who wants a compressor that only gets to 25 psi? It turned out the 25 psi was the compressor's pressure lube system.

I've used it for 25 years. Quiet enough two people can have conversation right next to the running compressor without having to yell. No brand name on it. 2hp, two cylinder running at about 900 rpm, 30 gallon tank.

BTW: I saw the woodie at a car show two years later, for sale for $60K. I mentioned to the owner I knew about the car and where he bought it. He denied it was the same car saying his was from California.

As to advertising on this forum, personally I don't care. I frequent other forums where self promotion of products are allowed. In the case someone is foolish enough to self promote the products get chewed up one side and down the other unless the products are already well thought of. Usually it appears to be a downside for the product since critics can be brutal.

Woodturning seems to have readily apparent conflicts of interest. The gods of turning teach classes. Some have their own signature turning tools. As a noob you attend a class of an outstanding turner and see their own brand of tools. Since he or she is a great turner their tools must be best, huh? But you have no experience to judge the quality of their tools.

Several times I've seen individuals mention in a post's tag line they are a dealer in a certain brand of lathe. What does that mean? To me that's a little deceptive. The well known turner is getting a kick back from the lathe manufacturer for hardly more than mentioning his product and passing an order through. That well known turner is not really a dealer of the lathe in the normal sense of dealer relationships.

Woodcraft is a true dealer, which means to handle certain lines they have to maintain inventory, have minimum order quantities and other obligations. Sometimes dealers even have area exclusives for sought after items, but they may have to perform sales-wise to earn that status. A dealer has to have a monetary interest in the product. That's not true of the tag line mention.

The bottom line is woodturning is like buying anything of value, no better no worse, and buyer beware.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
Ric W. told me about his CAT last year, which led to me acquiring a quiet compressor- not a CAT- but one that looks like it came out of the same factory. What a revelation! I immediately sold my Thomas to a friend. This one probably won’t last another 35 years like the Thomas, but then again, neither will I .

May be some confusion here between piston compressors and vaned compressors, also lubed compressors of the same capacity are normally quieter than non-lubed piston compressors . Usually lubed are more expensive

It never occurred to me that there would even be such a thing as a quiet compressor. I have now ordered one. Looking forward to trying it out.
I still get a smile on my face every time is comes on and runs. I LOVE it! To be clear, it's the quietness I love, not any particular brand or product... ;-)

I just had the kitchen flooring replaced, including the underlayment. The guys who did the work brought in a P-C pancake compressor in the morning, and a short cylinder compressor, the brand of which I didn't catch, in the afternoon. They both made a huge amount of noise in the house. A few days later, I brought my Cal Air compressor in from the shop to nail up some new shoe moulding. Yep, definitely quieter. Not exactly quiet, but a noticeable difference, and very tolerable by comparison.

My old compressor is a Stanley Bostitch 6 gallon pancake. I just bought a California Air 8 gallon. Side by side, using a Galaxy Checkmate SPL meter, the old one runs about 93 dB while the new one is about 71 dB. Their advertising claims 60 dB. I'm not surprised that I measure higher than that, but can absolutely live with 70 while ear protection isn't optional at 93.

Releasing the pressure when done is equally loud - enough to grab ear muffs, but that's just cleanup, not something recurring while working.

Back