• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for January 29, 2024

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
There are a large number of very worthy pieces to choose from today (this week). My short list was not so short. But, when I looked at all of the pieces holistically (form, finish, timber, photograph, "howdyadothat factor", technical prowess), "Levitate" by Dave Landers rose to the top.

I've been a big fan of Dave's work since I joined the forum. His three-piece burl goblets stick out in my mind, and this piece is an extension of that. We get a fantastic natural edge hole that lets us view the interior. On top of that, I appreciate how Dave left some of the burl eyes on the surface surrounding the opening. This is a great contrast to the smooth surface of the rest of the vessel. The vessel has a nice, flowing shape--one of the benefits of a piece like this is that the curve flows uninterrupted along the bottom. Of course, the challenge with that is mounting. There are many options, but Dave chose a clever method. I'm impressed with how perfectly straight the levitating vessel is--any sort of deviation would tarnish the effect. There is a smooth flow from the curved mount to the finial, and I appreciate that Dave shared his protocol in the comments. The dye job of the finial and the mounting piece perfectly juxtaposes the light color of the Maple. Lastly, the base itself is very interesting. It's just substantial enough to provide stability, yet it is also oriented in a very interesting way. This isn't a piece that you glance at and move on. You study it, take it in, investigate, and marvel.

Great work, Dave. Cheers!

DL_HF.JPG

Great choice, Michael. What a fantastic piece this is, Dave! I’ve enjoyed all of your work, and in this case you’ve nailed it.
I agree with all that Michael has already said.

Congratulations on a stunning piece of art!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Thanks for the kind words.
There was no big plan when I started this, except to make a hollow form and save some of the natural surface on the side. Just let myself flow with what developed along the way.
I like when I can get in that zone - like SRV's intro for "Hard to Be":

"Roll, and I'll just feel something"

Back