• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
There are so many great turnings to choose from, that I was having a hard time selecting only one, but when I saw this lady's hat, I immediately thought it was a correct "period piece" for "the great train robbery"!...... If a love affair between hats were possible, then those two would be a match made in heaven! :)

-o-

1713744570682.png 1713744636392.png

.....and, it made me think of this old John Wayne movie:

1713745010183.png

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
@Dave Roberts

Howdy Dave......just wondering if you ever saw this thread?????

-o-
Howdy and WOW, thank you for alerting me of this thread I have not seen it. Thank you so much for your selection and comments. I did see the TOTW selection but when I clicked on the link the only hat showing was the blue ladies hat so I thought there was a title mistake. I did respond to the comments in that link but didnt know this existed so thanks for letting me know so I can reply to the comments. cheers Dave

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
There are so many great turnings to choose from, that I was having a hard time selecting only one, but when I saw this lady's hat, I immediately thought it was a correct "period piece" for "the great train robbery"!...... If a love affair between hats were possible, then those two would be a match made in heaven! :)

-o-

View attachment 62843 View attachment 62844

.....and, it made me think of this old John Wayne movie:

View attachment 62845
Thank you Odie, they do look great side by side

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
Nice choice Odie. Dave, these are both beautiful!! I’m baffled at how quickly you seem to crank these pieces out, along with your other monsters. So impressive!!
Thank you Michael, they may seem cranked out but they are in the works for some time. There is 3 days of branding in the blue hat alone. The black hat was turned, branded and sanded. Then I decided to try a black leather stain to sharpen the branding color but the stain bled through the wood as well as under the taped off area. This was a commissioned piece and I wasn't happy with that bleed through so the hat went into the scrap pile. The 2nd hat for the replacement crack and was scraped but the 3rd worked out nicely. My son saw I was using scrap hats to light the wood stove and he said "stop I have a plan" He wanted some hats for his friends shop but I don't want to spend time finished pieces I am not happy with. I decided to stain the entire hat black and then lacquer spray it and am happy with the result so now I will ship it off to him for his buddies store. So they may seem to be created quickly but some are months in the process as I have many projects on the go. The sombrero is getting closer to completion so stay tuned lol

Back