• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Lessons

I'm starting to get several requests to give turning lessons. While I know I too still have much to learn, I also know I do have plenty of knowedge to share. For those of you who give lessons, when did you know you were ready and what is a reasonable rate to charge for beginner level instruction?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I did my first teaching when I was asked to substitute.
The answer for me was someone else wanted me to teach.
Maybe it is as simple as when someone else thinks you have something to offer then you probably do.

As far as charging. It comes down to what your time is worth. Most professionals establish a daily rate and charge that rate if they are teaching or giving demos.
I didn't have to worry about charging in my first class because teaching for Maryland hall I got paid 75% of the tuition they collected.

I should add when teaching I learned a lot. One example:
I didn't know a tool would not cut if you pushed really hard on the bevel.
The first time I encountered it with a student I thought the tool was dull.
The student sharpened the tool and still couldn't get a cut
I took the tool made a nice cut. Student took the tool and it would not cut.
After watching about four more unsuccessful attempts by the student one more of me showing that his tool worked in my hands I had the epiphany-
Told him to press very lightly on the wood and the shavings began flying.

This was in the third bowl turning course I taught. This course had 9 three hour classes.
Up until that time none of the students had pushed that hard on the wood.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
In our club, members don't charge beginners for mentoring. One of the members teaches woodturning for one of the local Woodcraft stores and of course they pay him and students have to pay the class fee to Woodcraft. I think that the local Rockler Hardware and Wood World stores have the same type of arrangement with instructors. Since you belong to the Concho Valley Woodturners, you probably have a pretty good handle on mentoring beginners.

This is a bit OT, but our club also has an open shop about four times a year where we have a bunch of lathes set up and start in the early afternoon mentoring beginners in whatever they want to learn. We also have food (hot dogs, chips, drinks) which is always a good way to draw people to an event.

I teach but do not charge, I feel that I'm paying it forward. A great feeling getting someone started on a journey that may affect the rest of their life.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I didn't want to fool with the insurance so when I teach at my house it's either mentoring for free through the club or I simply tell them to pass it forward and do something for someone else. When I teach for other organizations they usually stipulate the price up front.

I don't charge, but I have been taken out to lunch a couple of times. I prefer students who at least know what a lathe is, and would never have more than one or two in the shop at once. I think the teaching is as much fun as the actual turning. Especially if you give a little hint, and then see the light bulb of understanding come on... I am on the mentor list, but people seem reluctant to use me, or take advantage of that... Taking part in sawdust sessions is great as well, and I think that is some thing every club should do. Only problem is finding a shop to do it in.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I am on the mentor list, but people seem reluctant to use me, or take advantage of that ...

It's the same issue everywhere ... beginners are reluctant to call a mentor to ask for lessons. I think that club mentoring programs are more effective when a mentor approaches a beginner in the club and invites them to his shop. Otherwise, the beginner feels like they are imposing on a stranger. The other part of the reluctance is that beginners feel like they need to reach some level of proficiency before they are good enough to seek help.

Personally, I've seen some guys give instruction to others that scare the hell out of me. Youtube turners are the worst. So I would do some club demos, and if someone asks you to help them, then it's right. Teaching, even free, opens you up to liability. And not just during the lesson. Anyone can make a legal claim that the lesson you taught them resulted in injury in their shop. When I taught at the local Woodcraft, a million dollar liability policy was required. When I figure any commissions or work in the shop, I charge $35/hr. It should be $50/hr, but in my area that price gets me no work at all.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Personally, I've seen some guys give instruction to others that scare the hell out of me. Youtube turners are the worst. So I would do some club demos, and if someone asks you to help them, then it's right. Teaching, even free, opens you up to liability. And not just during the lesson. Anyone can make a legal claim that the lesson you taught them resulted in injury in their shop. When I taught at the local Woodcraft, a million dollar liability policy was required. When I figure any commissions or work in the shop, I charge $35/hr. It should be $50/hr, but in my area that price gets me no work at all.

Our club has an approved list of mentors who have been vetted for competence and safety and our club's liability insurance covers mentoring at club sanctioned events such as our open shop times.

As far as YouTube is concerned ... it is the Internet after all where you're liable to see anything on YouTube.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've had several requests from other turners who wanted to visit me in my shop.....and, unfortunately I've had to turn them down. I do give lessons, though.......to my own son! He's the only one I'm interested in doing this for. He did take a high school wood shop class, and the instructor didn't know much about woodturning.....thankfully! I have my son as a student, in a "raw" state.....he's a "diamond in the rough", I might say! I consider myself lucky that I can teach him what I know, without having to "unlearn" him of what others have taught him.

Other than that, there are those right here on these forums, past and present, whom I'm grateful they've shared knowledge with the rest of us.......and, yes, I do consider them mentors (of sorts) to me. Luckily, I've had many years of doing this before I ever mingled with other turners. Because of that, I am able to accept, or reject information.....while using some practical basis for making that determination......:D

ko

Last edited:
Many great points from you all! I had never even considered the liability aspects. I've been a bit reluctant to charge, but have been curious what " the going rate" is, if it even existed at all. From piano lessons to sports lessons it seems people take it a little more seriously if they are paying for it, but as a teacher and coach in my day to day work, it's in my nature to help those who want to learn. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Unless they want a full day lesson, I enjoy passing on what I have learned in 21 years... I'm one of the mentors of the club, members stop by all the time, I help with sharpening, tool selection, etc. Also they stop by to watch me turn, just as I do when I got started.... Paying it forward... Aloha.

Back