• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spur drives with spring loaded center pin

Are the different brands all built pretty much the same way?

A set screw sits in a notch on the center pin in front of the spring?

My set screw backed off earlier today and the spring decided to launch the pin into the land of the lost. So I need to acquire another just to have a spare if nothing else on the off chance I find it while sweeping.

The one I'm using wasn't very much and it worked but if there's a brand out there built differently I'll give it a try.

I haven’t use a spur drive center in a very long time. 95% of the time I use what is called the safety drive center. https://www.turnrobust.com/product/cup-center-wbowl-drive-set/

You may not like this style, but I like it better than driving the spur into the piece and if there is a catch it doesn’t tear up the wood.

The other 5% I use a step drive center.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Are the different brands all built pretty much the same way?

They are all similar. The ones with short spurs are worthless.

I want long spurs and a removable point. I don’t like a spring loaded point. I like the positive hold of the fixed point set about 3/16 proud of the spurs
The 1” detla spur drive has served me well.

Packard used to carry them may still have them but didn’t see it on his web site.

IMG_1569.jpeg
These folks have them

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Not sure the center pins from other mfrs will fit, and I don’t remember seeing replacement pins for sale - may have to call the supplier/mfr. If you end up needing a new drive, This brand has has worked well. Other sizes and stebcenters available. I prefer the spring loaded pin - it doesn’t create a large divot. The spurs hold the wood.

I frequently use those centers on the drive and the tail end.

Do you know who made yours? You should be able to contact them for replacement parts.

I did find this one from axminster which is made a little different in that the adjustment of the spring and the set screws are at the back of the drive. (see the video from that page)

Since I'm using axminster chucks and jaws and like the stainless steel guess I'll give this one a go.

Back