• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sorby Chattertool V notch??

I just received my Robert Sorby Chattertool, and one of the included "bits" has a v-notch on one end instead of being square. All the on-line sources, including Sorby's own online catalog, shows the square end opposite the pointed end. I haven't seen the v-notch used on any YouTube videos, either. I ordered extra cutters as spares, and that one also has the v-notch, so I don't think it was a fluke. Anyone have experience with this v-notch? Shall I grind a square end on my "spare?" Is the square end useful at all? If I re-grind one, will I be able to use a CBN wheel, or are these bad for them? Any help is appreciated! I'm looking forward to using this...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I just checked my Sorby chatter tool that I bought about eighteen years ago. The blade that was installed in the tool is the familiar pointed on one end and square on the other. I’ve only used the pointed end and it’s been years since I last used it. I dug around and found another blade that I don’t believe I’ve ever used. One end is rounded and the other end is the inverse, sort of like the flute shape of a detail gouge.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've never seen a V notch or how you would use it. I have rounded or pointed ends on mine. I've never actually seen the Sorby chatter tool.

Back